General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intrepid Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003 | 05:35 AM
DodgeyAussie
Default Intrepid Advice

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">G'day,</FONT></P>

<FONT face=Arial>I have just arrived from Australia, and the time has come to buy a car. I am usually a Ford driver, but the only ford product i'd buy is a f150,and i don't realy need a trucknor can i afford one(i can borrow the father inlaws )After much searching i am keen on the Dodge Intrepid, I like the styling, size and general design of the car, however i am concerned by some reliability issues i have read about, so i'm hoping a current owner can help me out a bit. The issues in particular would be, oil sludge, timing chain failure, and auto transmission. I have done a bit of research, and i myself believe that if a vehicle is maintained correctly you generally won't have any trouble other than regular maintanence, but there seems to be some horror stories out there. I have found a vehicle that i'd love to get. It's a 2000 Intrepid with 64000 miles, oil changed every 3k, it has a nice set of 17' wheels with 255 x45 Low ProfileTyres, and a kick *ss stereo system in it. The owner is asking $8500 for it. It's an awesome looking car at the right price, but the "reliability cloud" is still there. I was thinking that if i bought the car i would have a new timing chain fittedand have the oil flushed and replaced with a good synthetic oil, just as some preventative maintenance. Can anyone shed some light on my reliability concerns? Thanks in advance. </FONT></P>

Old 12-31-2003 | 10:03 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Default Intrepid Advice

The only reliability issue I've known were the automatic transmissions. The other problems you refer to are simple maintainance. The auto trans. have been of some concern, I personally never seen why they decided to have them computer controlled, thats where I feel the problems are.

Old 01-10-2004 | 12:31 PM
ROBDOG
Default Intrepid Advice

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR IF IT HAS A 2.7 PERIOD

Old 01-10-2004 | 02:47 PM
Stratusfear
Rookie
Default Intrepid Advice

I agree with you Roadrunner. The only electronics that need to be in a tranny would be speed sen, fluid temp sen , flow speed sen for fluid change notice ,and a just to say it , an external trany cooler is a must !

Old 01-11-2004 | 03:09 AM
HEMI ?
Rookie
Default Intrepid Advice

i would have to agree with robdog the 2.7 is a very touchy subject its a good engine but if not taken care of will go bad fast and will cost a bunch to fix. we see them alot where i am from .</P>

unfortunatly their is no way to see if it has already begun or not the one question is can you beleive the owner about the oil changes.</P>

if so go for it and keep up on them maybe do an engine flush to clear it up anyhow. but be carefull </P>

</P>

Old 01-21-2004 | 12:31 PM
Jeff
Default Intrepid Advice

I love my 2001 Intrepid (67,000 miles) and yes, it has the infamous 2.7 engine. I use synthetic oil, AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30, and it runs great.</P>

Check the car over well and if the owner lets you, take it to a mechanic to have it inspected before you buy it. Most mechanics will do this for a very reasonable fee. If its in good shape, I say go for it.</P>

If you buy it, definately do the engine flush and use a 100% full synthetic oil. All the horror stories come from people using conventional oil or synthetic blend. </P>

Quick Reply: Intrepid Advice