General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

opinons on my a/c compressor, and what the damage will be

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
dc3500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinons on my a/c compressor, and what the damage will be

hey all. i've got a new-to-me '94 ram 3500 turbo diesel. the a/c and horn don't work, and after troubleshooting today i realized that the horn works fine until you try to turn on the a/c, then the horn fuse blows. so i disconnected the compressor and tried again, cranked the air on and hit the horn and the fuse had not blown. there's obviously a short somewhere. i figured something was up with the compressor in the first place because i've never seen the clutch kick on, even after shorting the clutch cycling switch and testing the system pressure (which is good). i pulled the two-post power connector at the compressor and tested the voltage, i'm getting 14 volts there so that looks alright. i then got a continuity tester and hit the two posts on the compressor side of the wiring harness and got a long beep, which means that those two wires going down into the compressor are shorted out somewhere. a visual inspection didn't show where any wires had rubbed through the insulators (which is what i expected to find) so the problem has got to be the compressor itself.

can anyone back me up on my opinion, or was there something else i can check? providing it is the compressor, anyone know what the damage is going to be to have a new one put in?

thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: opinons on my a/c compressor, and what the damage will be