General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

will not idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
jmcpeak85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will not idle

I've had my 2000 Durango 5.9L for about 6 months now and no problems. Well tonight I was looking at the speakers in the passenger door due to them not working and put everything back and checked the fuse panel on the dash just to see if anything was blown. Well I had the radio on and the motor off and went to crank it and I had killed the battery. Well I hooked the jumper cables up to my other truck and went to crank the durango and it turned right over but the only way I could get it to start and stay running was the hold the gas in a bit. Now it wont idle at all and will only stay running with my foot on the gas. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran
Default RE: will not idle

The Idle Air control motor is crap. I had it replaced in my truck.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:47 PM
dodgeTEXAS

what happened when you spiked the pcm with low voltage it relearned an incorrect iac step to default to. thats why you apply gas pedal it runs. quick fix is to rest the pcm with a scanner that resets all obd information. some cases i can get the to relearn by starting it, holding the gas pedal and gradually letting off of it slowly till your foot is completly off.. good luck

Old 10-05-2007, 12:09 AM
stonentwolf

This happened in my 1999 Ram and my mom's 2000 Durango. It was worn battery cables. I had to keep the engine revving around 2000 RPM to keep it going, it was because I was running the whole vehicle off the alternator. I proved it by pulling the battery cables while it was running and it exhibited the same behavior.

The crappy ends they use crack and won't hold tight any more after a while. The only fix I could come up with was to cut the ends off and use the loops that the screws went in before to connect them to a new set of lead ends.

Try this. Get two pairs of locking pliers and bite them down on both battery posts and see what happens.

I actually ruined my battery by not fixing the problem. Fortunately I was still in warranty at Pep Boys so I took the battery back and they gave me a free replacement. I put the new ends on the cables and have been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: will not idle