General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Pinion Bearing Replacement 04 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 AM
curlyl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Bearing Replacement 04 Ram 1500

Does anyone know how to replace the pinion bearings in the differential? I have an 04Ram 1500 4x2 with 150,000.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran
Default RE: Pinion Bearing Replacement 04 Ram 1500

I don't know how the axles are held in on the 04 model year, but im assuming c-clips. Take the service cover off, drain the oil as usual. My guess is there will be a tone ring on the Case/Ring gear so I dont know how far the speed sensor sticks out inside the differential housing so be care when prying out. Ok, disconnect the driveshaft (have a small pry bar for gettin it out of the yoke) & then impact the Drive pinion nut (dont know the size of the socket but its big)off then put it up on jack stands first off. Second there will be a small bolt holding the pinion shaft in the case. I think it should be a 8mm wrench. Pull that out & push the axles inward so you are exposing the C-clips then remove those and you can pull the axles out enough so they are out of the way. Now you have the Case bearing caps that i think might be a 15mm or 16mm maybe even a 17mm. after you release those dont worry a whole lot because the Case/ring gear will have to be pryed out. There will be shims on each side of the case for setting backlash. If you mix these shims up you will be doing some math for getting it back to where its supposed to be. Pry the Case out onto cardboard or some kind of clean surface. When pounding out the Drive pinion gear out try not to screw up the seal or thats just another thing you will have to replace. Last but not least I believe you will have to have the drive pinion bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on. Repeat what you did for disassembly on reassembling the rear axle.

The wrench sizes could be different but those are the sizesI believe they will be. have fun n take your time. Make sure you have a manual to refer to also.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
HellaciousHemi
Veteran
Default RE: Pinion Bearing Replacement 04 Ram 1500

I forgot to mention the pinion gears (4 small gears inside the case)might fall out in removing the case so don't jerk it out on the axles housing.

Quick Reply: Pinion Bearing Replacement 04 Ram 1500