General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Valve Cover cause oil consumption???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 01:13 AM
93Stealth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover cause oil consumption???

Just bought a 99 Durango, 5.2, with 90,000 km. All fluids good when purchased. DRove it about 300 Km in 4 days and checked oil and it was 1/4" below add mark. Took it back to dealer said they would fix it, no charge. They had it 11 days and when I picked it up they said it was the intake plenum gasket. Great I thought everthing was fine. Drove about another 200 Km, checked oil again and it was right at the add mark. No visible oil sitting in the plenum pan but can see residue oil running down the intake PCV port inside of the intake. I took a compression test and got 74, 75, 72, 74, 84, 95, 90, 101 respectively. No. 4 plug was coated black, the rest looked great. Took it back again and told them it's still using oil and the compression is bad in all cyls.
They said I must of made a mistake on my readings and will do a compression test. (They said the Durango should not be running with that low of compression. (It actually idles and runs great - but with a thirst for oil!!)
[font="Arial"]After 2 days they tell me it was the right side VALVE COVER that is causing the oil consumption. They did a test by putting a clear gas filter in line from the pcv vale to the intake port and test drove and showed me that there was oil in it, there was. They explained that the baffle inside of the valve cover was so gummed up that oil was sitting in it and that the oil was being sucked into the intake through the pcv valve. MY QUESTION IS: IS THIS POSSIBLE???[/font]

Old 12-11-2004, 09:18 AM
SnipeRT
Rookie
Default RE: Valve Cover cause oil consumption???

Q: "is this possible?"

A: Yes. This problem is most often associated with aftermarket valve covers that do not have baffles preattached. This is the first time I've heard of this happening with STOCK valve covers. You do still have the factory stamped steel covers don't you? I don't see how the baffle could have gotten damaged on it's own. I also don't see how the baffle being "gummed up" (as they put it) could affect it's ability to prevent oil from being drawn through the PCV valve. It's a static part, and it's cleanliness has no effect on it's abilty to do it's job.

When you pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover, can you see if the baffle is even there?

Old 12-13-2004, 03:23 AM
R/T JaKaL

yea, I am not up to date with all the new equipment but it sounds kinda fishy to me. Dont be complacent with them, stay on top of them till it is fixed all the way...

Old 12-14-2004, 12:14 AM
93Stealth

Was still having the same problem with the oil consumption last week. I redid the compression test and got a lot better numbers this time, 145 PSI to 165 PSI- (the mechanic did his and got numbers between 170 PSI to 150 PSI and he told me I should of taken out the fuel pump relay and relieved the pressure in the fuel rail before I did mine the first time, whoops) - I admit I have total respect for this mechanic now, he had shared some valuable info and admitted that they do not know why it is still consuming so much oil (1/2 liter in 100 km this time). Prior to their last fix it was a stock OEM valve cover and when I got it back from them last tuesday it had a new OEM valve cover on it and I thought I would look under the PCV valve a the baffle was nice and clean. Even the hose from the valve to the intake was dry and clean but No. 4 spark plug was oil drenched ( I had changed the plugs when I did my first test).
Took make a long story short - Took the Durango back Friday and talked to the manager and demanded our trade in and money back. He was very appoligetic and said he would try and find us another Durango or a comparable vehicle. This is the third vehicle we have bought from this dealer and he said he would please us in anyway he could so we come back in the future. We settled on a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with only 60,000 K, Still 40,000 left on warranty. He gave us a very good deal on it so we accepted it, It's not the DURANGO I always wanted but will do till my next vehicle purhase. I will for sure, the next time I purchase a new vehicle, purchase it from this Dodge Dealership here in Moose Jaw. All these guys have treated both my wife and myself with great dignity and respect.
Thanks Darrell

Old 12-14-2004, 03:17 AM
R/T JaKaL

I am so glad you got it all worked out, and still ended up in one of Ma's vehicles. I had a problem with a truck I bought from a dealer in Susanville and got screwed badly. So whenever I hear of someone in a similer situation I feel for them. Glad it worked out. [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-17-2004, 12:02 AM
SnipeRT
Rookie

Symptoms:
-Severe Oil Loss
-Belly pan clean
-PCV hose clean
-#4 cyl plug oil soaked

Solution:
#4 intake valve stem seal needs replaced (wouldn't hurt to replace the exhaust valve stem seal while you're in there).

Quick Reply: Valve Cover cause oil consumption???