General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Aftermarket Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Beboboy9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Transmission Cooler

I have a 1999 Ram QC with 5.2L and auto trans that I bought o pull my boat and travel trailer. Discovered that it does not have an auxillary trans cooler which is not good since pulling the travel trailer will fry the tranny. Looks like there is plenty of room behind the grill to mount one on the face of the A/C condensor. Can anyone tell me if the upper line going into the radiator transmission cooling tank is the line that carries the fluid FROM the trans to the cooler and the bottom line carries it from the cooler back to the trans? Or do I have that reversed? Can anyone recommend a cooler that they have had good luck with and was not rocket science to install?

Thanks for your generous advice.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
United1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Transmission Cooler

Hi and welcome.
I put a Hayes from Napa on my 2000 Durango, in front of the condenser, for the same reason. I cannot remember the model number but it is about 14" x 10", no problems what so ever, took about an hour to install. Easiest way to determine the lines to and from the trans is simple. With the truck being cold, start it. Put the trans in drive while holding the brake pedal. After about 10-15 seconds, put it back in park and shut her down. Go under neath and touch each of the lines. The one that is considerably hotter than the other is the line coming from the trans.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:50 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I install it after the stock cooler on the return line to the tranny ...you'll need to extend the lines to the front of the condensor and then run a new line back ...

Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on my 01 the bottom one was the hot one and top one was the return. you'll also find a small check valve at the end of the hard line on the hot line. i removed mine.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_717634/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Transmission Cooler