General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
markoman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Compatibility

I amlooking to buy a rebuilt 318long blockto replace the engine inmy 1988 B250 Dodge Van.

The engine I am considering displays an engine number of 2B416994 stamped on the lower Right side of the block just above the oil pan mounting. Thisis consistent with the display indicated for 1985-88 V6 & V8 engines in Figure 7 on page 1-18 ofmy Chiltonrepair manual for 1967-88 Full-size Vans.

Here is the issue I am confronted with: I amtold the engine I have looked at is a 1968-74 model. However, thatis inconsistent with the Chilton's manual--which displays and states in Figure 6 on page 1-17 that engine numbers for 1967-84 V8's are located on the Left front of the block below the cylinder head This engine does not have a number in that location.

Cananyone advise whether this engine is the 1985-88 series 318 asthe Chilton'smanual suggests?

I have not measured dimensions, location of motor mounts or head design--but it all looks very similar to the stripped down block in my van.

If not; where can I find out what year it was produced and whetherit is compatible with this installation?

I appreciate any help or leads anyone can provide. I have not had any success talking with places like dealers or repair shops on this topic.

Quick Reply: Engine Compatibility