General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What Air Mods work?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 09:15 PM
NotSureDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Air Mods work?????

Hello, big fan of this site, owner of a 2000 Durango 4.7 4x4 since new. Love the car, hate the brakes and ball joints. At 100k miles, on the 5th set of rotors (I know how to drive and typically baby the truck) and 3rd set of ball joints. Have recently found out that selling the Durango will yeild me nothing and I decided to keep it and put about $1000 into some mods to make it a bit more peppy. I am considering a "roar" cold air intake or a K&N FIPK does anyone have any experience with either?
Also looking for a cat back exhaust system and have read all the messages. Whats the best? I like the way it sounds stock, a little louder wouldnt hurt, but not much. With these two mods, would I feel anything in the pedel?
Should I plan a chip or program change with these mods as well, if so any recomendations?

I think I could get the air intake and exhaust done for my grand but just want to know if it'll help.
These are my primary questions, if you have time, I have a few others that I would like some help with.

Driver door window inop and in the up position. Went to the manual to start to tear it apart and the first step is roll down the window! Is there any way to get around this or get the window down?
I have religously changed the oil and have all the documents to prove it. Under the oil fill cap appears to be the infamous "sludge" but the D leaks nothing and runs great. Should I panic? Always used Castrol GTX. Should I consider a Synthetic, Blend, stick with what works????
Driver side rear door lock only works manually. Anyone delt with this?

For the sites information, mine is under the recall and I have been instructed by the stealership that the last set of ball joints (the only set I paid for ((others under warrenty)) can be reimbursed if you provide proof of payment and mail too Daimler Crystler "reimbursments" department. We'll see how much of the $650 I get back (upper and lower change at a Les Schwab tire shop in California). I also specifically requested the Not OEM ball joints. Cant remember the name of them.

Thank you in advance for any input you have.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:33 PM
moparmania
Veteran
Default RE: What Air Mods work?????

i would say letting her breath is one of the best mods to start out with, not to mention good plugs and wires, hot ingition, and what have you. you should feel a bit more ponies at the peddle when done. not sure about chip sets, but a programer could offer alot for you too. my 2 cents.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:36 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

5 sets of rotors thats crazy...... new brakes and uppers and lowers were put on the truck bout 2000 miles ago..first time w/ 115000 on the truck

Old 12-27-2004, 12:56 PM
NotSureDurango

Thanks RamFan5.9,
Yep crazy is right. The first 70k on this D was a 100 mile round trip on I-95 weekdays for my wife to work. No traffic, only using the brakes at the end of the driveway, one light and at the off ramp and like clockwork every 20k your foot'd be shaken from warped rotors. Tons of life left in the shoes, but rotors are toast. I considered some Brembo's cross drilled / slotted for about $200 and cheesd out last time and did the $60 set from NAPA as we were thinking about unloading the D. Well, it's 16k later and yep, I'm feelin it in the pedal agian so may try the Brems now. Any expierence? When I re-read my posts and responses, it does sound like I'm an idiot and that I'm probably driving with two feet, but I can assure you I have never had this problem with any other car ever and I am convinced that this is a under-designed brake system. Too much weight to little surface etc. It could also be that I like my vehicles mechanically perfect and the pulsation I notice doesnt bother others.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: What Air Mods work?????