General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I have an engine miss...Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
rbo2A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an engine miss...Please Help!!

So, I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9L V8. About a month ago, I had to have the engine replaced due to a bent valve, so I have a grooms reman in now. When I had the engine put in at first, it ran like crap knocking upon deceleration with any throttle imput. I took that to dodge, and they replaced the crank position sensor, and reset the sync signal for the fuel injection. The engine ran better, but still has a slight miss. It idles pretty rough, all be it within 100 rpm, and at cruise speeds, every few seconds, misses. Its not a dead miss, but just a slight one. Its almost unnoticeable unless you listen to the exaust. I have replaced the upstream oxygen sensor, checked my PCV valve, and it sucks and whistles. I have also checked hoses for vacuum leaks, checked it IAC and the MAP sensors. I even opened the oil cap, and placed my hand over the hole with the vehicle running to check for a bad plenum gasket. All seem to be working fine. I have pretty much exhausted all of my ideas. Any ideas on what this could be? I have read around and some articles say it could be a bad downstream 02 sensor or a clogged catalytic converter, or even injectors not aligned 90 degrees to the rail. What should I try next?

Thank you soo much for your help,
Bryan Omohundro

Old 03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Default RE: I have an engine miss...Please Help!!

moe in wichita ks
i have heard that the knock senser can be tricked into turning down the timming if something is loose and bangs. so just check for things not tighted down.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
blissm14

check egr valve

Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 PM
rbo2A

As far as I can tell, my truck has neither an egr valve, or a knock sensor. My research shows that in that year only california vehicles had the egr valve, and dodge didnt use knock sensors at all. If I am wrong please correct me

Quick Reply: I have an engine miss...Please Help!!