General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

engine light

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 02:11 PM
karin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine light

Our engine light came on our mini van last night.

We don't have our manual (i'm probably the guilty one)

Where should we start to look?

Can we get another manual?

Thanks,
Karin

Old 12-28-2004, 02:15 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker
Default RE: engine light

Owner's manual will be next to useless on this one.
Is it the "Service Engine Soon" lamp?
Is it on solid or flashing?
What model and year?
Any other symtoms that were noticeable at the time of illumination?

Probably have to go to the dealer or Autozone to get a trouble code to help diagnose.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:38 PM
karin

It is the check engine light, it came on last night and is on steady. No other signs of anything. I have been using mid-grade gas, (reformulated) and have probably fouled the oxigen sensor. The air cleaner filer looked OK, so I will probably remove the oxigen sensor and soak it in vingar and see if that cleans it and solves the problem. Hopefully the computer will reset the 'check engine' light once the problem is corrected. I will have to look into checking the codes to see if is indeed the sensor.

Scott

Old 12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
brian_a_mcmillen
Amateur

What year is this vehicle? It is possible to check the codes in the computer yourself if it's not too new. If it's not....turn the ignition on (without starting the vehicle) then off, then on and off and then on again. The light will start flashing. Count the number of flashes (in two number increments). For instance, the light will flash two times, have a small delay and flash 3 times...this means the code number is "23." The code showing end of codes is "55." So, you write down the codes and check a Haynes manual for that vehicle and you now have the information. This works with all Chrysler products up to about 1998 I believe.

Hope this was of some use to you.

Brian

Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM
karin

the van is a 2003 grand caravan se. I did a search and found the test ( 3 on and off) and the OBD II codes came up in the digial odometer. the first code is a mystery, a "P 1684" because the list of codes that I found on the net and in a book, both only go up to 804. I got two more codes, a 442 and a 455. which are both leaks, so I must have a hose off somewhere. I will take a look and see if I can find it, or I will have to take it in. I also ran the car with the air cleaner off to see if that was the problem, so I may have created the last two codes myself, so I will take a termnial off the battery for a bit to reset the OBD II computer and clear the codes, then I will restart the car and see what codes come up.

Scott

Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: karin

the van is a 2003 grand caravan se. I did a search and found the test ( 3 on and off) and the OBD II codes came up in the digial odometer. the first code is a mystery, a "P 1684" because the list of codes that I found on the net and in a book, both only go up to 804. I got two more codes, a 442 and a 455. which are both leaks, so I must have a hose off somewhere. I will take a look and see if I can find it, or I will have to take it in. I also ran the car with the air cleaner off to see if that was the problem, so I may have created the last two codes myself, so I will take a termnial off the battery for a bit to reset the OBD II computer and clear the codes, then I will restart the car and see what codes come up.

Scott
1684 is The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts
0442 is Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
0455 is Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak)

I'd say you tried to disconnect the battery to turn off the light and you have a bad LDP or a broken evap line under the vehicle. Did anyone run anything over?????

Old 12-29-2004, 08:40 PM
karin

No I haven't run over anything, but then on the other hand I do let the wife drive the car,(maybe I should do a dent check!). The 1684 code puzzles me because I have not messed with the battery yet and we have had the car for over a year, so that is a lot more than 50 starts. I couldn't find the 1684 code anywhere, where did you find it? and are you sure that it is right? If you are right, I will just put it up on ramps and check the hoses. The Evaporative Emission Control System takes fumes from the gas tank and oil pan and runs them into the manifold, right? I still have not find out what my wife did with the manual or what my three year old did with my after market manual, so the EECS is a fancy buzz word to me, till I can find one of the manuals and look it up.

Scott

Old 12-29-2004, 09:54 PM
rakram
Rookie

Not the same model type, but on my truck, the engine light came on. Traced it down to loose clamps on the evaporative cannister. Took a smoke test to find it as visual inspection did not. Good Luck.

Old 12-30-2004, 01:47 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: karin

No I haven't run over anything, but then on the other hand I do let the wife drive the car,(maybe I should do a dent check!). The 1684 code puzzles me because I have not messed with the battery yet and we have had the car for over a year, so that is a lot more than 50 starts. I couldn't find the 1684 code anywhere, where did you find it? and are you sure that it is right? If you are right, I will just put it up on ramps and check the hoses. The Evaporative Emission Control System takes fumes from the gas tank and oil pan and runs them into the manifold, right? I still have not find out what my wife did with the manual or what my three year old did with my after market manual, so the EECS is a fancy buzz word to me, till I can find one of the manuals and look it up.

Scott
Yes, I am sure these codes are correct, as they are from DCX Service manuals.
1684 can be flaky, usually it means just what I said above, trying to clear codes. Sometimes you'll never know what triggered it.
The EECS takes vapors from the fuel system alone, mainly the fuel storage (gas tank, and plumbing), and recirculates them into the storage area. Once pressures and conditions dictate they (the vappors) can and will be vented into a charcoal canister and vented into the atmosphere.
If you find no obvious damage, the LDP is suspect. A dealer has the equipment to quickly diagnose this.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:16 PM
karin

The problem has been solved. Since the trouble was with the evaporative emission control system, and the car is so new and we haven't hit anything,(no new dents) I decided to check the gas cap. Bingo! it was loose. I tightened the cap and drove the car a few times, but the check engine light stayed on. So I disconnected the battery to reset the OBD II computer, and that did the trick, it has been two days and the light has stayed off. Worked just as well as my co-worker's suggestion to put a piece of black tape over the light. I also printed off a copy of the OBD II codes and put it in the glove compartment for next time.

Sure glad my wife went on the board here and asked about the problem, would have felt pretty foolish taking the van in to the dealer for a loose gas cap.

Scott

Quick Reply: engine light