General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

97 Neon, A couple issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:55 AM
jdub
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Neon, A couple issues...

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine's neon is having a couple problem's we would like to get fixed. I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion or two as to what they might be.

First, the turn signal does not shut off after making a turn. I'm thinking this is possibly a bad turn signal switch?

Second, the reverse lights do not work. The bulbs look ok and the fuse is good. Possibly another bad switch?
How would I test the switch? I see a switch on top of the transmission, underneath the battery tray... is this the backup lamp switch? It is an automatic.

The car is using/losing a good amount of oil. (edit: about 1qt every 1000 miles). I've noticed a lot of threads and web sites regarding faulty head gaskets. I don't believe this is the issue, as the car runs fine. The oil is clean. The coolant is clean. Well, they both need to be serviced... but neither one is mixing with the other. Where are the common sources of oil leaks? I've only taken a quick glance, but it looks like the bottom of the trans. is wet with oil. Maybe a bit from the oil pan gasket, also. Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 97 Neon, A couple issues...

first, for the reverse lights. you need to put it in reverse and see if you have power to the sockets...it might be a bad neutral safety swtich...ever have any issues getting it to start? then you need to test to see if you have power to both sides of the fuse...it sounds like it could be a bad ground, or a short...which could be tough to find.

and what do you mean they dont turn off, like you turn the switch off and they keep going??

Old 01-05-2005, 01:40 AM
jdub

I'll check for power @ the sockets the next chance I get. No issues with starting the car, though.

Regarding the turn signals, the problem is that they do not shut off after completing the turn.

Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 AM
casper
Legend

Turn signals- replace the switch.
Reverse- if theres power at the bulb, I would go for the reverse/neutral safety in the shifter mechanism, if you know how to work a meter, ring it back and make sure, I believe our cars have the reverse light switch on the console shifter.
oil- Clean the motor real good with a degreaser and make sure you get everything, then drive the car for say 100 miles or somethin, then look and trace the oil back to where its commin from.

Quick Reply: 97 Neon, A couple issues...