General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

water....need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 12:19 AM
projekt neo98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water....need help!

my brother sucked water into his intake on his 98 neon lil high water too fast if any one could direct me in the right direction to how to tear this thing apart and make it run again it would be great! or at least were i could get an engine for a good price!lol thanx

Old 01-06-2005, 12:42 AM
rakram
Rookie
Default RE: water....need help!

Are you mechanically inclined and have a fair amount of time? If not, you might just get a mechanic to complete the inspection. You do not indicate if he hydro locked the engine causing damage or simply shut it down. If you are so inclined, disconnect the battery, pull the plugs and check to see if water made it to the cylinders. You can drain the oil and change the filter. Check for water in the oil. Remove the air filter and vaccum out any standing water in the cowling. Take the accessories belt off, with the plugs out and the vehicle in neutral with the emergency brake on - hand crank the engine using a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt. If you find no resistance, you might be in good shape. Reconnect the battery, disconnect and redirect the fuel line to a collection cannister; then let the starter crank the engine. If you have a cylinder pressure test gauge, check the pressure for each cylinder. If things are still turning without any knocks, you can put it all back together, and hope the damage was only to his pride.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:46 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: water....need help!

Pull all the plugs and try to crank the motor over, if you hear any weird noises, sorry but rebuild the motor. If you don't know that much about working on cars or can't follow a manual I would leave it for a mechanic, but other than that goto the dealer and pick up a full service manual, and have fun.