General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 caravan will not shut off, check gauges light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 AM
mrlyricman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 caravan will not shut off, check gauges light on

I Found the battery dead for no apparent reason twice now. Once a couple weeks ago. I jumped it and everything was okay. The second time was on monday. My son jumped it and tried to start. just clicked and harldly turned over . He waited a bit more and tried again same thing but this time he noticed a puff of smoke from the left wheel well.
Tried again then it started. Wife got in and started driving and noticed the check gauges light on and that the speedo and fuel gauge were not working. didnt think to much about it and drove it 50 miles round trip. when she got home and turned the ignition off it wouldn't shut off. at this time I was notified of the delema. I told my son to pull the power wire from the ignition module on the distibutor block and disconnect the bat till I got home. Now when the battey is connected I hear thefuel pumpturn on and a few relays clicking on. I go look in the van and the key is in the off position. The check gauge light is on with the oil light and the airbag light fuel gauge is not working( pegged on empty ). If I turn the key to run the airbag light goes out but nothing else works other than the radio. I turn it to start and the van starts oil light goes out turn the key off and the radio goes off, the engine keeps running. I have a spare body computer, engine controller that I tried and nothing changed. I have disconnected the ignition switch also and the problem is still there. I have inspected all the harnesses under the hood for damage and found nothing. I dont have access to a real service manual for another week and I dont know if i got that long till the wife tells me to buy her a new van. Please helpEven a wiring diagram that showed the entire electrical system including the gauges would help, the haynes and chilton manuals are useless in this problem.

Quick Reply: 93 caravan will not shut off, check gauges light on