General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Looking for some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 04:27 PM
ratzo15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help!

I have a 2000 Durango that is running lean.I have had the o2 sensors replaced and that fixed it for about a day now the lean code is back. My mechanic said maybe the fuel pump or a vacume leak. I can fix somethings myself and was wondering ifanyone else have such a problem and know whatI sould be looking for? I don't want to keep throwing money atthe mechanic for him to guess.
Thanks!!

Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Looking for some help!

hi, welcome to df.
i don't much about durango's, but if you have the 5.2 or 5.9 magnum engine, it probably has the common problem of the blown gasket in the plenum belly pan. i'd tell you to search, but the search function is all screwed up. scroll down through the forums for durango, dak, ram that include your 2000 model year. there's about a million posts about it, w/pictures and DIY info.

the problem is the steel plate on the bottom of the aluminum intake. the different metals expand and contract at different rates, and tear the gasket apart over time. the best solution is to replace the steel plate with an aluminum plate by Hughes or APS.

the blown gasket creates a vacuum leak, which can also suck oil out of the engine. the leak can vary from minor to massive. symptoms include oil loss, power loss, spark knock (pinging). the fix is pretty easy, but a sizeable job. whatever you do, don't put the steel plate back on, or you'll be fixing it again within a few years.

every 5.2 and 5.9 eventually has this leak...
here's one of many posts.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_735291/tm.htm

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

moe in wichita ks
injectors? if your injectors are just dirty, try some marvel mystery oil, you put it in the gasoline 4oz to 10gal of gas. one thing experimental i tryed i add one qt of 2 stroke oil to one gal o mmo, but i would NOT have you do it. i have been using it for decads, after you have used it for a couple of months you will see that it starts much better. good luck

Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
ratzo15

thank you for your help. Here is some more info that might help. It is a 4.7 v8 and it has black smoke coming from the tailpipe. Do you still think the gasket? It doesn't use or leak oil it is just running lean, i'm getting about 5mpg!
Thanks
J