General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005 | 03:18 PM
2001 Ram Power
Default Lockers?

Hey guys I have a 2001 ram 1500 4x4 and would like some advise and input on lockers for my truck. What brand of lockers do you recommend and what is the difference between an open differencial and a limited slip?

Old 03-09-2005 | 07:56 PM
Snafu
Default RE: Lockers?

Open diff will only send power to the wheel with the least traction. A limited slip will transfer some power to the wheel with traction if the other one starts to lose traction. A locker will send power to both wheels equally when engaged.

What do you plan to use the vehicle for? If it's almost completely on-road, use a limited slip. If it's going to see moderate to slightly heavy off-road use, use a Lock-Right or Detroit EZ locker. If it's gonna see heavy off-roading or you need maximum traction in all conditions, use a Detroit Locker. If you have unlimited funds and want the best of everything, use a selectable locker such as an ARB Air Locker, Detroit Electric, or Ox Locker.

They get more expensive and more heavy duty in the order I listed them (generally).

Quick Reply: Lockers?