General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cup holder removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 04:29 PM
timewellwasted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cup holder removal

I have a 1999 Dodge ram pick up. Today my son took it to school and his school bag fell off the seat and smashed the cup holder assembly....It might be fixable, but i have to remove it to know for sure...even if i cant fix it, itstill has to come out so that i can replace it. I removed the 4 screws that hold it in place, but there seems to be a couple of tabs at the top that are under the dash and holding it in place. Can someone please tell me how i can remove the cup holder?...I'm pretty good with my hands, just not great with vehicle repairs[IMG]. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

John

Old 03-10-2005, 11:45 PM
casper
Legend
Default RE: cup holder removal

Are they clips or tabs?

Old 03-11-2005, 07:27 PM
timewellwasted

clips or tabs?...ummmm...to me it looks like the cup holder has molded clips on the top.....cant really tell because i cant get a good look at them from any angle

Old 03-19-2005, 08:22 PM
timewellwasted

Soooooo....I guess no one has an answer....thanks anyways....will see if I can find an answer elsewhere

Old 03-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

INSTRUMENT PANEL CUP HOLDER OR STORAGE BIN
Vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission have a lighted fold-down cup holder installed on the instrument panel just inboard of the glove box. Vehicles equipped with a manual transmission have a lighted storage bin installed on the instrument panel in place of the fold-down cup holder.

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

REMOVAL
INSTRUMENT PANEL CUP HOLDER
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel. Refer to Cluster Bezel in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Unlatch and fold the cup holder down from the instrument panel to its open position.
Remove the six screws that secure the cup holder to the instrument panel Instrument Panel Cup Holder Remove/Install - Automatic Transmission Only
Pull the cup holder away from the instrument panel far enough to access the illumination lamp and hood unit.
Disengage the illumination lamp and hood retainer clip from the back of the instrument panel cup holder unit.
Remove the cup holder unit from the instrument panel.
INSTRUMENT PANEL STORAGE BIN
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel. Refer to Cluster Bezel in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Remove the two screws that secure the top of the storage bin unit to the instrument panel Instrument Panel Storage Bin Remove/Install - Manual Transmission Only
Lower the top of the storage bin unit far enough to access the illumination lamp and hood unit.
Disengage the illumination lamp and hood retainer clip from the back of the instrument panel storage bin unit.
Remove the storage bin unit from the instrument panel.
INSTALLATION
INSTRUMENT PANEL CUP HOLDER
Position the cup holder unit to the instrument panel.
Engage the illumination lamp and hood retainer clip to the back of the instrument panel cup holder unit.
Position the cup holder unit onto the instrument panel.
Install and tighten the six screws that secure the cup holder to the instrument panel. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Install the cluster bezel onto the instrument panel. Refer to Cluster Bezel in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Reconnect the battery negative cable.
INSTRUMENT PANEL STORAGE BIN
Position the storage bin unit onto the instrument panel.
Engage the illumination lamp and hood retainer clip to the back of the instrument panel storage bin unit.
Raise and position the top of the storage bin unit to the instrument panel.
Install and tighten the two screws that secure the top of the storage bin unit to the instrument panel. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Install the cluster bezel onto the instrument panel. Refer to Cluster Bezel in the Removal and Installation section of this group for the procedures.
Reconnect the battery negative cable.
>>>>>>>> I have found that you have to lift up from the bottom to get it to come out. these instructions are from the dodge dealer help site. hope it helps. <<<<<<<<<

[IMG]local://upfiles/2784/73571CF63090442AAD6D61155A74CE46.gif[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2005, 02:24 AM
timewellwasted

Thanks soooo much Parts/Service guy (I assume). I couldnt see the top 2 screws because the instrument cluster bezel was covering it. Once I figured out how to get the bezel off, it was very easy to access the 2 top screws and remove the cup holder assembly. I did manage to repair it and reinstall everything within an hour. Thanks again.....now to my next problem.....I'll have to start a new thread, I guess.

Quick Reply: cup holder removal