General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

86 Ramcharger ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 01:01 AM
andersonwm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Ramcharger ignition?

I have an '86 Ramcharger with a quadrajet carburator on a 360 engine. The engine started running rough over the last few days on the low idle. While driving, it performed fine. I checked the cap and replaced a couple of the wires I deemed questionable with no change to the low idle.

Today, it started off rough than suddenly stalled a block from my home and wouldn't start. I finally got it started, but the engine was racing and wouldn't kick down. As soon as I got it back home, it stalled for good.

I had the carburator checked, there's spark at the plugs and coil and the resister is good. If I keep my key in the start position with the engine cranking I can here the engine starting, but it stops the moment I release the key.

I replaced the ignition module, as this problem was something I encountered last year and disappeared when I replaced the module (after wires, cap, rebuild of carburator,etc.) and the truck had been running fine since.

I got it to start up with the new module, and it ran fine for a little while. It stalled when I put it in gear but immediately re-started. I ran it down the street and back before it stalled again. Now, I can't get it to start just as before.

It was sugeested that maybe it's in the ignition switch(?). Anyone experience this before?

Quick Reply: 86 Ramcharger ignition?