General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 van stalling 318 motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:06 AM
92dodge van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 van stalling 318 motor

I have a 92 dodge van b150. The problem started a few days ago. When we were driving home from a job the van started to die out when we came to complete stops a traffic lights. We had to hold the brake and give it gas while we were stopped at each light or it would shut off. since then i have replaced spark plugs, rotor button, fuel pump, ignition coil and found out the plug wires are new and so is the distributor cap. I also found out it only wants to shut off after it is hot and when you flick the gas pedal. if you hold the gas pedal down a little bit at a steady rev you can hear what sounds like a miss fire or its only running on 6 or 7 cylinders. the computer was replaced notto long ago and i would also like to know where it is located. so if anyone can help please let me know? thanks 318 92 van

Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
88RamVan
Default RE: 92 van stalling 318 motor

One day I was driving my van and hit a bump and had the same problem you are describing.But mine only lasted about 15 min then stopped.I was assuming fuel filter or fuel pump.I have done anymore about it because it hasn't happened again.If you can try to check the fuel pressure.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:28 AM
mopar714

hello sounds like you need to replace the idle air control motor in you throttle body. some times you can get away with taking it out and cleaning it. you can also clean the throttle body out. IAC motor good luck

Old 03-21-2005, 02:39 AM
casper
Legend

ORIGINAL: mopar714

hello sounds like you need to replace the idle air control motor in you throttle body. some times you can get away with taking it out and cleaning it. you can also clean the throttle body out. IAC motor good luck
Is that your answer for everything?

I would go with the fuel filter or pump, check your fuel pressure at the rail.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:58 AM
kossuth
Professional

With something that old I would suspect a few things. Maybe the timing chain jumped a tooth. Not likely but could have happened. I am suspect of the cat converter. If it is busted up inside or melted all together it will cause something like this. Rattle around the cat if you are underneath it and if you have a rattle noise then that is the problem. Could be the IAC, but doubtful as well. Could also be some stupid sensor IE coolant temp sensor, MAP sensor, TPS sensor. Not sure if a 92 has a cam sensor or not. Any one of these above would cause this problem. I would start with the converter though being the age of the van it seems to me to be the most likely culpret. Does it throw any codes at all?

Quick Reply: 92 van stalling 318 motor