General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Whats so special?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 07:50 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats so special?

Not to sound mean or iggnorant... but what is so special about AMSOIL? I run mostly Mobil 1 in my Grand Caravan, Quaker State in my Ranger, and Castrol GTX in my motorcycle... I have run AMSOIL in my motorcycle and didn't notice one bit of difference than the Castrol. The only difference was price w/ AMSOIL costing a lot more than the Castrol.

redriderbob

Old 02-17-2004, 01:24 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Whats so special?

ORIGINAL: redriderbob

Not to sound mean or iggnorant... but what is so special about AMSOIL? I run mostly Mobil 1 in my Grand Caravan, Quaker State in my Ranger, and Castrol GTX in my motorcycle... I have run AMSOIL in my motorcycle and didn't notice one bit of difference than the Castrol. The only difference was price w/ AMSOIL costing a lot more than the Castrol.

redriderbob
Did you measure your bikes engine temps before and after trying Amsoil? I have 5 Harley Davidson customers with V-twins uaing Amsoil motorcycle oil. All of them witnessed a 3 to 5 degree F. drop in engine temps after making the switch. A cooler running air-cooled bike is a good thing. My Harley customers can safely change their oil at 6000 miles instead of 3000 miles.

Amsoil and Mobil 1 have very similar base-stocks but, Amsoil has a more expensive and stronger additive package. This package is what makes the oil withstand extended drain intervals without breaking down quickly. Another reason why Kale is selling Amsoil is because they give the "little guy" a chance to sell Amsoil products with their dealership option. Mobil 1 has no such program for home based businesses.

I have 9 months and 12,000 miles on the Amsoil SAE 10w-30 in my Dakota. I'd like to see someone try that with Mobil 1. The only thing I did was change the oil fiter at 6 months and top-off the oil.

Bill,

Old 02-17-2004, 07:03 PM
redriderbob
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whats so special?

Nope, it is hard to tell engine temp on a Honda dirtbike, lol.

redriderbob

Quick Reply: Whats so special?