General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Mobile 1 & Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:36 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile 1 & Chrysler

I recently purchased a 2K4 Dodge SRT-4 and the dealer was very insistent that only Mobile 1 should be used in the engine (it's turbocharged). The owner's manual also
recommends only Mobil 1.

Do Exxon/Mobile and Chrysler have some of "deal"? I've never heard of a car maker recommending a specific brand of oil. A specific weight or type, yes, but not a brand.
I'd really rather use Amsoil because of the better test results, but I HAVE to take it to the dealer for oil changes for the first year because of the extended warranty package I bought. Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2004, 10:59 PM
SyntheticsMan
Professional
Default RE: Mobile 1 & Chrysler

Dealers can suggest an oil for sure. That dealer my have some money investing in Mobil 1 products. However you can certainly use amsoil without the dealer hassling you. In fact if they tell you it will void warranty, they are lying to you. The Magnusson Moss act of 1975 states no dealer can do this kind of crap. USE AMSOIL, the dealer CAN NOT void warranty.

If you have problems , send me the dealers contact info and name of the person who told you this.

Thanks

Enjoy you SRT

Kale

PS: I work at a dodge dealer too!

Old 02-23-2004, 07:19 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Thanks for the info, Kale. After I give the dealer the 5 quarts of Mobile 1 I bought to put in the car at the first oil change next week, I'll start bringing my Amsoil in. The PC program I joined will save me $$ over the dealer's price for oil...

Old 03-21-2004, 03:57 AM
SyntheticsMan
Professional

Sounds good dusty, did I send you a sticker yet? I can't remember, I've been busier than 10 cats covering up **** lately.

I need to stop by here more often.

Kale

Old 03-21-2004, 03:11 PM
sgbofav
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

I recently purchased a 2K4 Dodge SRT-4 and the dealer was very insistent that only Mobile 1 should be used in the engine (it's turbocharged). The owner's manual also
recommends only Mobil 1.

Do Exxon/Mobile and Chrysler have some of "deal"? I've never heard of a car maker recommending a specific brand of oil. A specific weight or type, yes, but not a brand.
I'd really rather use Amsoil because of the better test results, but I HAVE to take it to the dealer for oil changes for the first year because of the extended warranty package I bought. Any suggestions?
Auto manufacturers will change companies for as little as a nickle per gallon price difference when it comes to lubricants. DC has a lucrative/ very profitable deal with Exxon Mobil. Basically Mobil gives them a sweet price on oil so than can have the name recognition/ oil requirement on cars. The consumer automatically assumes that Mobil 1 is the best because Dodge and Chevy (plus some others) require Mobil 1 for oil.

Print this and take it in to the dealership and observe the "Deer in the Headlights" look that the service manager has when he reads this. They may have some legal standing if their Extended warranty specifically requires Mobil 1, either way take this with you when you go to the dealership.

Warranties And API Licensed Motor Oils

Fortunately, the law does not allow manufacturers to "void your warranty" simply because of the brand of oil you use, the specifications it meets or the miles you drive between oil changes. To be specific, they cannot deny to fix your broken radio, faulty valve or cracked piston because you used an AMSOIL non-API licensed motor oil, or because you've gone more than 3000 miles since your last oil change. Denial of warranty coverage must be specifically due to an oil related failure. All courts of law will find against any manufacturer or dealership that tries these warranty shenanigans. If any automobile dealership insinuates that your warranty will be void if you use AMSOIL products or utilize extended drain intervals, let AMSOIL INC. know the name of the Dealership, the address, the owner's name and the name of the employee that made this statement. Mail to:

AMSOIL INC.
Attention: Technical Services Department
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

or e-mail to tech@amsoil.com.

They will almost never put it in writing, but if they do, please send us a copy of that, too. Either way, we will send them a letter informing them cease the intimidation of our customers. A sample letter is located at the bottom of this email.

Only if the oil is determined to be the direct cause of the engine problem can a manufacturer or dealership deny warranty coverage for that specific problem. In this situation the AMSOIL warranty would apply, and the AMSOIL Technical Services Department would assist you in processing your claim and in getting the vehicle repaired. That's our pledge to you. AMSOIL INC. sells millions of gallons of oil per year and warranty claims are a rare occurrence. If you ever have a warranty problem with an automobile manufacturer or dealership, AMSOIL will assist you by analyzing the problem and providing data supporting the fact that repairs should be made under the vehicle manufacturer's warranty. If this does not resolve the problem, AMSOIL will submit a claim with our insurance company and request that an adjuster have the vehicle repaired and pursue legal settlement later if necessary. The fact is there never has been an engine failure attributed to the non-performance of AMSOIL products, and we do not expect there ever will be. If it ever did, both AMSOIL and our insurance company would make certain your problem was resolved. Click HERE to see the AMSOIL Limited Warranty.

AMSOIL Sample Letter sent by Technical Services to automobile dealerships when they say using AMSOIL will void the manufacturers warranty
It has come to our attention that you (or employee's name) have been informing our mutual customers that the use of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil voids your manufacturers' warranty. This claim is not true. Please review the following facts about warranties and AMSOIL synthetic motor oil.

Original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) recommend consumers use lubricants of the proper viscosity grade and service classification. Any oil, whether it's petroleum oil or synthetic, may be used without affecting the overall warranty coverage. OEMs pay or deny warranty claims based on the findings of failure analysis. To affect the vehicle warranty, the lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided, regardless of the brand of oil used, or the length of time or number of miles the oil was used. To flatly inform the customer that the use of AMSOIL synthetic motor oil voids their vehicle warranty is not true. It is not supported by OEMs and damages AMSOIL INC.

AMSOIL introduced the world's first API rated synthetic motor oil to the automotive public in 1972. Since then, every major motor oil manufacturer has followed AMSOIL's lead and has introduced synthetic oils of their own. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils exceed the most demanding worldwide performance standards. They are specially formulated to provide superior performance and longer service than provided by conventional oils. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils can be installed and used with complete confidence. AMSOIL INC carries liability insurance and offers our customers complete warranty coverage for oil related failures, should one ever occur.

We appreciate your attention to this matter and anticipate there will be no further intimidation of our customers by your insuring no one implies or states that the use of AMSOIL products will "void" vehicle warranties. Thank you.

AMSOIL INC.
Customer Service Division

Cc: Legal Department

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 & Chrysler