General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Problems...over and over

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:16 PM
durango_dan98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problems...over and over

Had my front calipers replaced a year ago...drivers side was grabbing and overheating. Back in February had them done again..same issue, drivers side grabbing and overheating. This time also have the hoses redone and rotors. April comes up..same problem same side, drivers side caliper and rotor replaced again. This time they replace the proportioning valve...taking me for my money on that one. Week later drivers side starting to smell again. The shop working on it offers to pay for Dodge to do an inspection. Dodge looks at and finds nothing. They suggest it may be the aftermarket calipers....My hands are in the air..any ideas??? The only thing that is left to replace is the master cyclinder but that couldnt isolate just one wheel, could it?

Old 05-09-2005, 05:05 PM
CorEmonk
Default RE: Brake Problems...over and over

try buying ceramic brake pads?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM
neilzwheelz

I have the same problem on my 97 Caravan. Occasionaly the driver's side caliper with grab. First symptom is the brake pedal is high and firm then after a few brakings the driver's side is very tight. After sitting for about half an hour it is fine again.

It was happening a couple times a week. Mechanic checked caliper and replaced brake hose, then it was fine for a month. Then happened again. Replaced caliper last week. Now has happened twice this week.

Anyone else go throught this and know what the cause is??????

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

YES the master cyl can isolate it to one wheel.. i have seen it happen more than once.. i can see one bad aftermarket caliper.. but how many have you gone thru? thats all bs.. they didnt 'take' you on the prop. valve .. i would have opt'd to do that over the master cyl as well..it is more likely.. chances are the master cyl has 2 outputs.. right.. and left.. and it goes to proportioning valve.. where right is front and back.. left is front and back.. if the left (drivers side) is stronger than the right.. your only going to feel it in the front.. and see results in the front.. because rear doesnt grab unless you WANT it to grab.. by basically slamming on the brakes.. i would in fact have it replaced.. make sure that it is bled properly as well..

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM
afed3503

I'am not having grabbing issues with the brakes but does anyone know how to do a drum to disk brake conversion on a 2001 ram 1500 2wd 3.9l v6. any suggestions could help

Quick Reply: Brake Problems...over and over