General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

freaky speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:59 PM
DHoov73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default freaky speedometer

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this. 04 1500 ram hemi.

Leaving work yesterday and started up the truck. With my foot ON THE BRAKE and truck IN PARK, I noticed the speedometer needle was jumping anywhere from 2 to 5 MPH. I took my foot of the brake and the problem went away. Noticed it for the first time yesterday and haven't really had much time to mess with it. Anyone ever see this and know what's going on?

Old 05-31-2005, 04:28 PM
greenmachine
All Star
Default RE: freaky speedometer

Sounds like you have a wiring problem. Under warranty? take it back. It could be a ground for the cluster or feedback from the braking system.

Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM
DHoov73

Shortly after noticing Speedo jumping I had my ABS light come on along with the emergency break light. I called Dealership and let them know what was happening. They were able to tell me what it was over the phone. Water in the ABS line...dealership said the seal that goes over the sensor to ABS line was installed upside down causing it to collect water and get down in the line. Why it effected the speedo???? no clue. Anyhow, problem was fixed and it was under warrenty. Thanks for your input.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:54 PM
JCswm
Veteran

Your instrument cluster gets it's speed signal from the ABS modiule

Quick Reply: freaky speedometer