General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

alternator goes bad and tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 10:47 PM
Dallas_Dumbass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator goes bad and tranny

My truck is in the shop and they are scratching their heads. </P>

My truck died on the hwy. I pulled over and had courtest patrol jump me. The battery would not take a charge so he pushed me to where I could have more room. So I put it in NEUTRAL and he pushed me for about 30 yards and I had enough speed to get to an exit. Went out and bought a new battery to run on that to get me home and it fired right up, but once I put it in D, it went nowhere and did nothing. Not even a sound like the tranny was trying.</P>

How could my alternator directly affect my tranny? I know that the trannies are mostly elecrical, but I was wanting to bounce this of you guys.</P>

2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 V8</P>

67000 miles</P>

</P>

Stuck in da mud....</P>

Justin L.</P>

</P><edited><editID>Dallas_Dumbass</editID><editDate>37898.826412037</editDate></edited>

Old 10-04-2003, 11:49 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, have you taken to the dealer for any diagnosis? Maybe the PCM is taking a dive. The Powertrain Control Module.. but that's an expensive part, so I'd pay to have the dealer diagnose it before assuming it's that...</P>

You didn't change the starter right? Just the battery...? Did the transmission ever engage? </P>

~Amanda</P>

Old 10-04-2003, 11:50 PM
Shogunn

Originally Posted by Dallas_Dumbass

My truck is in the shop and they are scratching their heads. </p>

My truck died on the hwy. I pulled over and had courtest patrol jump me. The battery would not take a charge so he pushed me to where I could have more room. So I put it in NEUTRAL and he pushed me for about 30 yards and I had enough speed to get to an exit. Went out and bought a new battery to run on that to get me home and it fired right up, but once I put it in D, it went nowhere and did nothing. Not even a sound like the tranny was trying.</p>

How could my alternator directly affect my tranny? I know that the trannies are mostly elecrical, but I was wanting to bounce this of you guys.</p>

2000 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9 V8</p>

67000 miles</p>

</p>

Stuck in da mud....</p>

Justin L.</p>

</p>
Auto or Stick?

Old 10-05-2003, 12:17 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

QUOTE: "<FONT color=blue>My truck is in the shop and they are scratching their heads</FONT>"</P>

What a bunch of morons. I was thinking what dodgegirl was thinking of.</P>

Old 10-25-2003, 03:47 AM
Dallas_Dumbass

well, I got it back from the shop. Come to find out, it was not the alt. at all. The tranny pump went out and french fried the tranny and some electrical. Ammco fixed it for $1950.00 for a new tranny, electrical parts, and labor. No complaints what-so-ever.</P>

Could have done with out that 2 weeks before my wedding!!!</P>

Justin L.</P>

Old 10-25-2003, 06:42 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds a bit funny that the trans. pump and the alternator go out at the exact same time. Sounds kinda like a scam to me. It probably was the computer and they replaced it for a couple hundred dollars and charged you for the $1950.00 tranny fix. I cannot see how the tranny could fry any electrical at all. As far as I know it's impossible.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:00 AM
som1dies
Default RE: alternator goes bad and tranny

Ammco! MIght as well have taken it to the dealer although I'll never let anyone ever fix my car.

Quick Reply: alternator goes bad and tranny