General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard starting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 AM
86RamRoyalSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting when hot

I recently replaced the 360 in my 86 Ram with a new long block. I also put on a Edelbrock Performer Intake and Carb. I replaced everything on the engine I could. (Great benefit of working at NAPA). Anyway, when the engine is cold, it starts great. If you drive for a while and shut it off, its a bear to start. The fuel line is no where near the exhaust or valve covers so I don't think its vapor lock. The choke seems to be working fine. I didnt replace the ECU but checked the voltage on the ECU, it shows 11.5v and the battery shows 12v. PLEASE HELP!!! Just a little other info. I took all of the old emmission off of the engine and also got rid of the EGR valve. I still have it timed based on the original specs. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 06-06-2005, 01:26 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hard starting when hot

What's going on is you are boiling the fuel in the carb. You need a phenolic spacer to isolate the carb from the engine heat. Your problem is solved.

Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 AM
86RamRoyalSE

Does it matter how thick it is?

Old 06-06-2005, 08:08 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the thinnest one I've seen is 1/2 inch. That's what I have currently on my car, but I've had one that was an inch tall.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 PM
86RamRoyalSE

OK, I put a phenolic spacer in, I have gone ahead and changed both the ECU and starter relay. I am still having a hard time getting it started when its hot. I checked the voltage at the coil with the key in the on position, it is only showing 7v while the battery is 11.9. I also checks the ohms on the ballast resistor and it is fine. What am I missing?

Quick Reply: Hard starting when hot