General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 1/2 ton "ram bighorn" deep water ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:51 AM
kennybeaux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 1/2 ton "ram bighorn" deep water ??

Hey ya'll, I just joined this forum. My daughter has a 2004 1/2 ton dodge truck with 4.6 v-8. She went off the road into a ditch with deep water in it. The truck will not start anymore. It turns over, and acts like it wants to start, but it doesn't quite catch. Is there anyone that can help me with this. Thank ya'll very much, and the forum looks good.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2004 1/2 ton "ram bighorn" deep water ??

I'm sorry about the doom and gloom your about to hear but. . .I'd say one of the cylinders got hydrolocked enough to bend a rod, possably fracture the piston. . .not good stuff. you might be looking at a new engine.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Was it wet in your air filter box.?

Old 06-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Trippen
Professional

Ok Here are some things to check....
1. Pull the dip stick and see if you have water in the oil. (was the truck running in the water and drove out or did it stall and was pulled out?) This could change your scenario
1a. If you have water on the dip stick remove the oil from the truck and replace with new oil before trying to start again
1b. if the truck was pulled from the water do this any way( Most likly you sucked some water down the intake)
2. See if you have spark getting to the plugs
You can do this by unplugging a wire and Inserting a Plug into it and seeing if you see a spark at the end of the plug.
3) If the engine is turning over without any rattle or sudden stop a rod is most likly NOT the issue.
4) Check the distributor. I have had a few problems with it getting wet and causing all sorts of problems on starting. Especially if someone did not place the rubber gasket right at the factory.
5) If water got in the cab of the truck up to the computer take an air compressor and blow air about 60-90psi accross all connectors and in the fuse box.
6) CHeck Fuses. Sometimes water has a nasty habit of causing fuses to blow when they get wet. And if the fule pump fuse got wet well that would explaine it.

Hope this all helps..............And Best of luck

Quick Reply: 2004 1/2 ton "ram bighorn" deep water ??