General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil level: different engine and oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 09:24 PM
rr66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil level: different engine and oil pan

this is a screw up of all screw - ups: this guy i know changed out the engine in a '90 dodge B-250 van (318 cu in). he put in a 318 out of an old Chrysler car (i don;t know what it was). However, the oil pan from the car would not fit into the Van; but somehow he found an oil pan that did fit (it needed to have the sump in the back (closest to the transmission)). i changed the oil and filter and put in 5 quarts. the oil dipsticks are lost, but i got one from a junk yard that i can make work (i will need to cut it off (and make a mark)). i know that oil is getting to the top because the oil sending unit went out and in checking - oil was coming out profusely. (OK there - topside of engine).

HOWEVER, no oil shows when i put the dipstick all the way down, because the tube is in front of the engine, where the oil pan for the (old Chrysler) car would have the sump.

WHAT should i do. i need to sell the van. PUT in more quarts of oil to get it into the front of the pan so that i can show oil on a dipstick as full, OR ????????

What is the normal level for oil when it is full. Is it only in the sump part, or is some oil also to be in the other part of the pan ????

Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 PM
rr66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil level: different engine and oil pan

figuring this out:

oil can be in the non-sump area (because i checked another 318 dodge 88 van and the dipstick goes down into the front of the pan - deep part is in the back).

could not get the pan off (think the trans has to be pullled back to get the pan off), but there is a channel running down on the inside of the pan on the right side; not there on the left (dog -gone it). and the dipstick comes down and hits on that. with the pan off, think i could drill and or hacksaw that off for the dipstick, but i did put in a total of 7 quarts and still could not get any oil to show on the small (in diameter) rod that i had down there.

the pan is listed as for a 94 Van (marked in yellow by the junk yard).

Old 06-19-2005, 10:57 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil level: different engine and oil pan

I think there is only one dipstick for all small block mopars. The oil capacity shouldn't be more than 6 qts., at least I don't recall seeing one with more than that.[&:]

Quick Reply: oil level: different engine and oil pan