General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 03:50 AM
HemiMan02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange problem

I know this is a dodge forum but i would rather ask you then sign up at the ford forum...just looking for general ideas on this problem. its a 93 ford probe with a 2.0 auto trans. anyways....when i try to start the car it turns over for like a second and then the battery is drained....the battery is good. when i take out the spark plugs (they all have to be out or it wont turn over) they all fire and the engine will turn over until you stop trying to start the car. i thought maybe there was an exhaust restriction so i disconnected the exhaust...still wont turn over. i changed the starter thinking that it would that it couldnt handle a load..still the same problem....if you have any ideas please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Derek

Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Bill Y.
Default RE: strange problem

You say that the battery is OK. About the only way to tell for sure is to have a load test done on it. Most auto supply stores will do this for free. Also, make sure connections are clean and tight.
Bill

Old 06-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either what bill said or you have a bad connection somewhere causeing a short.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Trippen
Professional

Could also be a starter that cant take the load. Does the starter stop spinning when the plugs are in or does it just click. In other words sometimes when the load is too much on the starter it disengages and you can hear it spin afterwards. In the case of a siezed motor(not what it sounds like you have) the starter will disengage and it will after spin. This where the starter sylonoid just kicks out and and the starter gear retracts and spins. Usally the sign of a weak starter.

Old 06-25-2005, 02:31 AM
JCswm
Veteran

get your battery load tested.... I'll bet it fails.... 93 ford(mazda) probes were electrical NIGHTMARES!!!
Check the ground connections at the frame and engine!!

Quick Reply: strange problem