General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need help 03 4.7 liter motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:20 AM
joebiv318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help 03 4.7 liter motor problem

we have a 03 ram 1500 with an automatic. the original motor overheated several times and needed to be replaced- it was still running fine just used lots of water. we bought a used 11,000 mile motor out of a '03, 5 speed, put the motor in the truck and it runs excellent except for at 3500 rpms exactly the rev limiter or govener kicks in instantly no matter what gear you are in. a check engine lite is on and we had the code pulled and the code is something like p0019 and says camshaft/crankshaft misalignment. we put in brand new crankshaft and camshaft sensors, still no good, so we took it to chrysler dealership, they had it for 3 days and can't figure out what the problem is. if we disconnect either the crankshaft or camshaft sensors the truck won't start. also the cruise control doesn't work now and it did before. other than this problem the truck runs perfect now, it was a used longblock and we used all of our own parts off the old motor. at the same time as the motor swap we installed gibson headers and a AEM brute force intake. we talked to numerous people that all have ideas as to why it doesn't run right and we are looking for someone to tell use exactly what the problem may be. my idea is that the crankshaft sensor is the source of this problem, the dealer said there is no difference between any internal parts or sensor between the 5 speed and automatic motors. thats it, i don't know what else to say- any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:30 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: need help 03 4.7 liter motor problem

perhaps the PCM differs from one engine to the other?

Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 AM
joebiv318

Yes the PCM is different. The five speed is a 3 wire (j-tec???) and the automatic is a four wire. (This came from a local Dodge dealer) The fact that we got a long block and used all of our computer controlled components from the recipient truck this shouldn’t matter, right? Three Dodge dealerships all have said that there is NO difference of internal parts on this motor from a five speed to an automatic. Cams, sprockets, chains, sensors and crank are ALL THE SAME. So how would the PCM know that this is a different motor?

UPDATE- We got the truck back today from a Chrysler dealership. They ran some tests on it and said that the timing is off -26 degrees. So the took off a valve cover and checked the timing points and said that the (motor) was right on. I don’t know what else they did. When I got in the truck and started to drive I notice that now it will only Tach to 3000 rpm’s and shut down. Don’t know what happened but some how we lost 500 rpm’s. Also the truck NOW shutters bad when you are just crusing along under just a slight load just to keep the truck moving. As soon as it shifts or accelerates the shutter goes away. When at idle in gear the truck sort of bounces like it has a miss but the idle to the ear sounds fine.

So now we are really stuck. The dealership recommends going to a dealership that has more experience with trucks, the only thing is that these guys took care of us on cost. So going somewhere else may become costly. Any ideas???????

Old 07-16-2005, 12:01 PM
joebiv318

Is there any way to tell if the new motor that I bought is really out of a 2002 truck and not a 2003. If I ask the yard they can give me any 03' VIN. The only sure thing I have is the motor. The 2002-2003 have different crankshafts so this could be my problem. When we started looking for a used motor we called about 10 yards everyone including the one we got it from all said 03'-04' ONLY. So how could they make a mistake like that? So if anyone knows where there is some #'s I can look for that would be great. Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: need help 03 4.7 liter motor problem