General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New here and have a problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 PM
ozarkpreacher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and have a problem

bet you never heard that before huh?

Anyhow, I just got my '02 ram 4.7 back from the dealer this past thursday. New head gaskets and valve job due to a minor blown head gasket. thursday and friday it was fine. I started it up this morning and the CIL is on. I stopped and checked everything and went on. When I got back I ran the codes and I have a code 12.

"12 Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles."

Now my question is this if I disconnect the battery in order to clear this code will I get it again in a few days telling me the same thing? If I leave it alone will it clear on its own?

Any help appreciated.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:18 PM
faustburger
Default RE: New here and have a problem

Hi!
I got the same code with my Stratus when I tried to clear up memory!
Is this really the feature for this memory?If you disconnect the battery you got this message?
Even it sounds normal in common sens it is unnormal.If you clear it up you should clear clear it.
Any comments?(If it is simple memory then it would be normal for it to remember if yu disconnect battery?)

Old 07-24-2005, 12:34 AM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

it should clear if you think about it, but im not sure

if it says within last 50 cycles(starts?) maybe itll clear within the next 50 cycles

Old 08-01-2005, 09:05 PM
ozarkpreacher

I cleared it and it was fine for a couple days. Now the light is back on with the same code. If I clear it again I'm sure it will just come back on in a day or so. There has to be a way to turn it out and not have to worry about it coming on again.

Any help appreciated. I know it doesn't hurt anything but it sure is irritating to have to see it and explain to everyone who gets in what is going on.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best thing I can think of is to hit up auto zone or some other auto parts store. most will read CEL codes for free and for a code like that they will just erase it for free.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:36 PM
ozarkpreacher

Thanks, I have to go right past one this evening. I'll stop in and see what they can do.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:00 PM
1SlowFormula
Professional

The reason you get this light is so you don't try to fool inspection stations into thinking your vehicles are not throwing codes by pulling the battery prior to going through the inspection. OBD-II vehicles can't have a SES/CEL light ilumentated at all and be allowed to pass inspection in a lot of areas...

A lot of cleared codes come back if they are real faults, in a few driving cycles, so Factories sometimes put this fault in there to stop people from fooling the inspection sation. This is done a lot with cams, exhaust or lack of a Cat or most other performance mods done that will throw a code in an OBD-II computer. This does not explain why you didn't have the code for a day or so though, how many times was it started in that time?

Also a cheep way to clear this code is go out and start/stop the truck a few times, it should go away then...

Quick Reply: New here and have a problem