General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine problem probably beyond repair - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 PM
Dodgerzzgal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problem probably beyond repair - help!

While my Dad and I we're heading home two weeks ago on his 2001 Intrepid, and the oil light came on. While we were pulling over, the engine stopped. The mechanic told us that the engine was full of sludge and beyond repair . Does the previous persistent problem with the heat not working properly have to do with this? Are there any other ways to remedy this or do i need to purchase a new engine? This will probably cost a lot. I am also looking for cheap fan shroud, anyone knows where I can get em?

Thank you in advance for any help you can extend.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:37 PM
kev_stratus
Default RE: Engine problem probably beyond repair - help!

Usually, engine sludge happens to cars that have not been properly taken care of. If you have records of oil changes (especially if they're done at the dealer you purchased the car from) and other services dealing with the engine, you might be able to get the dealer to give you a new engine.

you asked about fan shrouds.. Fan Shroud this could help you out. they got cheap prices for some other parts too. you may get quality parts for discounted prices, offering more than 50% less from the original market price.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Dr.Dodge
Professional

I agree with kev. Engine sludge that is severe enough to prevent engine oil from draining back into the oil pan is usually a sign that the engine did not receive regular scheduled oil changes at the required intervals. Engine oil breaks down into sludge after too much wear and tear. An engine that is constantly overheating will put added stress on the engine oil and cause it to break down faster.

When I first started working at Toyota many moons ago, I had an old gentleman bring in a Chevy truck that had the same problems. He had gone 50,000 without an oil change. Upon disassembly, I literally took 10 lbs of hard sludge out the top half of the engine. I ran about 4 engine oil flushes through it and changed the oil several times in the next week. It was kind of a last ditch effort to save it. It didn't work. The oil pickup got clogged with the sludge that was now free to flow through the engine and it was starved of oil while driving at highway speed. It failed with a big KABOOM and there were pieces all over the road.

If your engine is this far gone, then there isn't really much you can do except strip it down completely and clean it ALL thoroughly. Even then you may have starved the engine of enogh oil that you would have excessive wear inside the engine and it might not be rebuildable.

Wish I had better news, but I advise all my customers of the worst case scenario. Better safe than sorry.

Just my 2 cents...

Jeff

Old 08-13-2005, 06:04 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

i have to agree with the dr. on this. engine sludge is a good sign that the maint. on an engine was done as should be. if it was a 2.7 in an intrepid then chances that the motor is toast are pretty darn good.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Dodgerzzgal

thanks guys for all the help.. I guess i'm pretty out of luck, the engine's a headache! Tnx Kev for the site.. I saved a few bucks from it!

Old 08-16-2005, 12:44 AM
s22479a

Keep in mind: salvage yard engines usually have the same sludge. If you go that way make sure the new engine is from a low miles wreck and pull a valve cover and LOOK before accepting it. Dont just look in the oil fill hole. That area can be easily cleaned with spray cleaner to make it appear clean. Seen this senario before.

Quick Reply: Engine problem probably beyond repair - help!