General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 12:26 PM
mmonkus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

I have a 1977 360 Dodge engine in a 66 Coronet, 2 door hardtop. Had the engine built, ran it 200 miles and began to notice a small leak at the rear of the engine. This steadily became worse. Replaced rear seal, 200 miles, small leak became worse.

To add injury to insult we pulled the engine and rebuilt it again as the crank received bad scarring in about 3,000 miles or so. After rebuild it ran great for about 200 miles and then started leaking a drop. That steadily increased. After about 500 miles the rebuilder (good Mopar Guy) pulled the main and found light scarring on the bearing and it was leaking bad. Replaced the seal, worked great for about 200 miles and I noticed just a drop yesterday. Ditto, same old business.

For some reason the bearings are not getting oiled correctly. I have a high volume oil pump and oil pressure is around 67 after heat up and idles at about 30PSI. The Mopar guy is scratching his head in bewilderment and offerered to go through the engine again. I am not interested in that. After 2 rebuilds by different people and the same problem, something is wrong. I am extremely aggravated and frustrated.

The engine ran great and strong on both rebuilds. Any ideas?

mmonkus@sowega.net

Old 08-24-2005, 12:51 AM
hemipower1984
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Leak

i build engines for money on the side outside of work. 1 oil leak from rear main can be fixed by putting some rtv on main cap side of seal. as for oiling issue sometimes high volume oil pumps cause to much oil to be pumped and it sits on upper part of engine(on heads) and this does not give pump anything to pump out of oil pan sump. recommend next time getting an engine built use a standard oil pump high volumes pumps are good but only when proper other mods are made. contact me by e mail if you have any more questions ( hemipower1984@yahoo.com)

Quick Reply: Oil Leak