General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

pilot bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 AM
littlred truck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pilot bearing

i am replacing my engine in 96 4x4 full size manual trans. truck and having trouble with the pilot bearing. the od of the bearing is 1 inch the id of the crankshaft journal is .976 inch. the shop where i bought the engine recommends to turn down the bearing. not a chance. any one else have this problem .btw engine is a rebuilt. any help

Old 09-27-2005, 09:54 AM
thump186
Record Breaker
Default RE: pilot bearing

Seeing as you have the measurements of the crank journal i would call a couple of tranny shops and part stores in the erea and see if they have something in the size that you are looking for. Turning the bearing would not be 100% wrong idea. I agree that i wouldn't like the idea of doing it either. the overal diameter is real close to the size you need. You could try a couple different bearings and see if a new one has the same diameter as the one you have.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:43 PM
littlred truck

thanks thump for your advice. the rebuid company is making a bushing to fix my problem (wrong crak put into engine) this maybe a head scracthing fix but it it getting colder here and i am losing my garage spot. they said it would not affect my warranty (got it writing)

Old 10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
injmopar
Veteran

Your crank is probily missing the steel bushing.The bushing is left out for the snout of the torque converter when using an auto.The new cranks have two steps to the hole.About 1.0" and 1.814 .The bearing does't go directly into the crank.You need the factory bushing to bring the bushing out flush with the back of the crank.

Quick Reply: pilot bearing