General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Chrysler 4 speed auto trans questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Tyler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrysler 4 speed auto trans questions

Hey everyone...

I have a 42RE transmission that is acting peculiar. I bought the vehicle this way so i have no prior history.

Mine has a random problem shifting to second gear. Most of the time it shifts fine, other times it delays, and then acts as if it wants to shift back and forth from first to second a couple times before staying in second. Second to third is usually always normal, but I have noticed that occasionally both gear changes occur at higher rpm then other times. It does not start out in the wrong gear or slip.

The second issue is overdrive. Mine does not shift to overdrive at all. It simply stays in third gear. The on/off switch is working because when pressed the convertor unlocks.

I am a competent mechanic, and I am planning to tackle this problem myself. However, it seems as if nobody is willing to share information on how the OD one one of these transmission is designed and operates. I understand there is a solenoid on the VB that actuates to cause a 4th gear shift. After that I'm lost.

What I need to know is, can the OD unit be removed and serviced by itself? If it has burned clutches or something like that, I can rebuild the thing.

Also, how does one go about testing the governor pressure solenoid and OD solenoid to see if they are indeed bad? I figure the governor solenoid is just a potentiometer, feeding a varying voltage signal back to the TCM just like a Throttle Position Switch.

I would appreciate any sharing of knowledge..don't worry about being too technical, I can understand it. Thanks...

Quick Reply: Chrysler 4 speed auto trans questions