General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005 | 03:47 PM
techmanbd
|
Record Breaker
Default Brakes

Last night my brakes went out. Here is what happened. I was in stop and go traffic. All of a sudden I feel it pull to the right. When I hit the brakes it seemed to release the brake on that side and brake from the left. I pull over, and sure enough the right brake is glowing red. I started pumping the brakes I lost all brrakes. The brake fluid reservoir is full. I know this is power brakes and antilock brakes, but I am not use brake systems. I wll be picking up a repair manual but wanted to get thoughts so I can get it fixed quickly.

My thought is that there is a pump that may have gone bad. And with how hot the brake got on one side I will be replacing the brakes and rotors.

Any help is definatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 11-25-2005 | 02:52 AM
casper
Legend
Default RE: Brakes

sounds like a hung caliper.

Old 11-26-2005 | 12:36 AM
techmanbd
|
Record Breaker
Default RE: Brakes

Thanks for the info. Problem solved. The piston in the caliper looks like it had locked up. The seals were just deteriated. So I replaced the calipers since they are $15 a piece, instead of rebuiling the damn things. Also got new brakes and bled the brake, and now I have something to stop me.

Quick Reply: Brakes