General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

6-speed for smallblock?any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 09:05 PM
exline
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6-speed for smallblock?any ideas?

[sm=helpout.gif]Looking to put a sixspeed behind my 340.looking at a T56 or a richmond sixpeed.anybody have any experience with either of these.Richmond says there six speed will bolt to my bellhousing but its going to cost me $3200.My friend has a T56 from his 99 camaro i can get for $900 but cant seem to find bellhousing .kaisler has a kit for T56 in dakota advertised but when i call the say there is no bellhousing to put T56 behind 340,think mabye they just have bad salesman?[sm=huh.gif]dont know what else to do now ,want the low end of a set of 4.30 gears with top end of 2.76.I've built several cars,streetrods and they always seem to need anouther gear or two.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Default RE: 6-speed for smallblock?any ideas?

Does the bell housing from a 340 match the bellhousings on the new 360s and 318s? Might try the Borg Tranny out of the Viper(V-10 is the same as the newer 360s), doesn't sound like you want a double overdrive 6-spd like that one, though.

-Oh yeah, just remembered the new Dakotas have a 6-spd available, it'd be a 4.7 bell housing, I kinda doubt those match up.

Old 12-11-2005, 01:02 AM
exline
Rookie

the viper six speed uses bigger bellhousing not even close. the viper uses bigger fly wheel ,i baught one off ebay and it was to big by a lot!think the new 4.7 may have same bell pattern ,i know the new hemi does for sure ,i put a four speed behind one.did not know the dakota came with six speed .wonder how good it shifts?[sm=gears.gif]

Old 12-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

If the 5.7 has the same bell pattern as the 340, my guess is the 4.7 wil too, the 2 engines are put in front of a lot of common equipment.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM
exline
Rookie

finally I found a sixspeed for my small block.I got the kit from dark horse performance.They use a lakewood bellhousing and adapter plate to hook up to a T56 .The kit comes with wverything ,clutch pressureplate,yoke,transmission,transmission mount,speedometer cable and a hydraulic clutch conversion kit and flywheel awsome!

Quick Reply: 6-speed for smallblock?any ideas?