General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter Leaks behind round plate...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
DodgeDakotaGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Leaks behind round plate...

Hi everyone

I have a little problem my dad and I kinda inherited. My dad bought a 1995 Dakota Sport from a auction, come to find out i had two spun bearings. We tored it down and re-assembled it, but... now the oil filter leaks oil everytime we crank it over. I got under it while my dad cranked it and noticed it was coming from behind a round metal plate that fits in between the engine block and the threaded insert where you screw on the oil filter.

Has anyone encountered this when assembling an engine. I have gone to my local dodge dealer, looked at numerous manuals and all they show there is a (thin) paperlike gasket there, but no matter how tight, even with two gaskets there seem to be about a 1/8" gap between this plate and the engine block. Ii don't know if I got the wrong plate, my dad went to the local junk yard and said it was the same so tomorrow I will try to press it down some.

ANY IDEAS, HELP []

Old 01-04-2006, 02:50 AM
injmopar
Veteran
Default RE: Oil Filter Leaks behind round plate...

The magnum and non-magnum engines use different length of nipples. So the plate also has a different height. The filter seals to the block.So if you have mix and matched the nipple and disk will hold the filter up off the block.And the plate sits against the block like a cap not a dish.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: Oil Filter Leaks behind round plate...

I've seen something similar on the old 318's but it wasnt an 1/8". But the leak was terrible. After all the hosing around we finally went down to the dealer and picked up a brand new plate, gasket and adapter(threaded dude)...all was fixed and hair loss stopped! also there has been problems with aftermarket gaskets that don't seal well, dealer ones always work.
What size engine? Do you need part numbers?

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Leaks behind round plate...