General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

83 Ramcharger engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:54 PM
Trixter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83 Ramcharger engine swap

I am getting ready to swap out an 83 Ramcharger's existing 360 with a 440.

Has anyone ever done this before? How involved is it? There are no electronics to speak of, but is there anything that I should watch for?

Thanks,

Will Johnson

Old 04-28-2004, 02:55 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 83 Ramcharger engine swap

Will, I guess the other post got deleted so I'm gonna hi-jack this one. Rumor has it you got your feelings hurt by my last post, I have no real interest in Dodge products except that i work for them. The ONLY reason i post here is to help folks out that need help. I do have a smart-a$$ attitude but that comes with my chosen career. If you are gonna have this as a hobby, cars that is your gonna have to get some thicker skin. This is a rough hobby, you wouldn't last a day with my race car crowd, those guys live to flame nubbies. I don't know how you took my post but i have never told a fellow forum member to leave the forum or not come back or whatever. Guess thats all for now--I don't apologize, I always think before I speak and mean what I say, some just take it wrong. I still think you should paint it camo and beat ON it(my military roots). There is some lingo you'll have to learn as well.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:01 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dodgemech. So true. Even though your a GM guy, your OK.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Trixter. The first hurdle will be getting the motor to mount up in the engine bay. You need to check out Schumacker Creative Services, www.engine-swap.com, for engine mount adapters. There will probably be some minor electrical work to be done for the ignition wiring since your going from a rear engine to front engine distributor. You will need a bigblock tranny which may require some shift linkage work to match the tranny.

I'm curious why the 440 rather than the 360. The Ramcharger will drive better with the 360 since it is lighter. Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2004, 01:26 PM
Trixter

mopartodd,

The reason that I was thinking to go to a 440 is for the very simple reason that the 360 is the original engine, and it has seen a LOT of kilometres. So, if I am going to swap the engine out anyway, than I might as well increase the size of the engine while I'm at it...

Plus I like big engines as well.(though with the way that gas prices are headed lately, I may rethink that.)

Will Johnson

Old 04-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Trixter

Been doing some more homework, and it seems that the 440 engine was not an option in the 83's, gotta go back to the 79's before that becomes an option. There is a HUGE amount of room in the engine bay though.

Gonna have to rethink this I think.

Will Johnson

Old 04-30-2004, 09:37 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its not a removable top K5, those are for rednecks with camo paint and mullets...*yawn*

"i drive me a 85 camaro 305 hipo...i got it into the low 15s last week with open manifolds, and the hood removed, and in the winter, i gots me a 75 K5 with a 454 in it, and some ol naked lady mudflaps."
-typical chevy owner

but anyway, i dont think there is anything wrong with putting a big block in that 83. fire in a 6 inch suspension lift, and put some 43s under. pull the stock seats and stick in some harness friendly seats from EOR, or someone along that path. match the factory tint to the front windows to the back windows. i know mine are tinted from the factory, i figure they all are the same.

i think youre likely from canada from the kilos comment. do you have emmissions testing there? that is the biggest problem with engine swaps in PA.

Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Trixter

Yep, I am in canada, and yes, we do have emissions testing up here. But, there are two things that work in my favor up here in the Great White North.

1) Emissions testing that was brought in three or four years ago, is now being phased out.

2) Emissions testing is only mandatory for cars that are less than 20 years old. So with my 83 Ramcharger, I am just outside the range.

Thanks for the tips,

Will Johnson

Quick Reply: 83 Ramcharger engine swap