General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ethanol Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
redoffroad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanol Fuel?

Anyone out there running the ethanol 85 fuel? We recently had a local station start carrying this stuff. I am curious if anyone out there has tryed it and what their results were? I am all for supporting local farmers and not the neighbors across the pond so this stuff is appealing to me. I have read reports stating that it burns hotter and cleaner but not necesarily as efficient as traditional fuel. Any real experiences out there? What type of vehicle are you running it in? We own a 2001 Off Road 1/2 ton pickup, 2005 Hemi Durango, and a 1996 Jeep Cherokee, none of which are economy vehicles, so if it runs well, saves us a few cents a gal. and supports our own I'd like to give it a try. Let me know what you think.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:06 AM
redoffroad
Default RE: Ethanol Fuel?

Filled up today, .05 cents per gallon less than regular unleaded fuel. The performance seems the same, I will post the mileage in a few days when I burn through the rest of this tank.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:54 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your owners manual to see if that fuel is ok for use in your vehicle. If not don't use it.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:05 AM
injmopar
Veteran

Ethanal produces 1/2 the heat that gas does. It does not make more power ,it make it possible to run high compression and more timing.So that you can make more power with out selfdistruction.

Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 AM
redoffroad

Ran through the first tank today. The truck ran ok on this stuff but I did notice that as the tank got low it made my truck start a little hard and idle rough for just a moment or two after ignition. I also noticed that when I got to the fuel station to fill up again that there was a fair amount of pressure on the tank. Taking the gas cap off was like opening a gas can that had sat in the sun for a while.

Worst of all my fuel mileage went from 12mpg (bad enough) to 9mpg (horrible)!! So at only a nickel a gallon savings over the unleaded you save nothing financially by using this stuff for now.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:14 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: redoffroad

Ran through the first tank today. The truck ran ok on this stuff but I did notice that as the tank got low it made my truck start a little hard and idle rough for just a moment or two after ignition. I also noticed that when I got to the fuel station to fill up again that there was a fair amount of pressure on the tank. Taking the gas cap off was like opening a gas can that had sat in the sun for a while.

Worst of all my fuel mileage went from 12mpg (bad enough) to 9mpg (horrible)!! So at only a nickel a gallon savings over the unleaded you save nothing financially by using this stuff for now.
DON'T USE E85 IN ANY OF THOSE LISTED VEHICLES! THEY ARE NOT E85 CAPABLE! You could do serious damage to your vehicles that are not made to run on this. Go to www.e85fuel.com to read more about it. In my area, we have a station that has E85 at $.20 lower than regular gas. Which vehicle did you fill it with? What brand and model truck do you have? If you owned a vehicle that was capable of using E85, it would be perfectly safe to use, in fact studies have shown that FFV vehicles that ran on E85 vs. normal gasoline showed half the wear with E85 as they did with regular gasoline.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:47 AM
redoffroad

I ran it in the 2001 Dodge 1500 Off Road pickup. Thanks for the info, a little late now but I won't make that mistake twice.

Quick Reply: Ethanol Fuel?