General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Vice King
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI

i'm not sure if this is the right forum..

i justed wanted to share this because i didn't know about it until somone told me, so if you already know, good for you and for those who don't know...

did you know that you can take your car to a college mechanic shop and get minor services for a fraction of what the big guys cost or even FREE sometimes. i don't know if this applies for all colleges in the states, but i know that CCs here in california do that.
so, if you have a stratus where changing spark plugs is a bitch and pep boys want to charge you $120 then head over to your CC and find out if they can do it, but i think you have to be an enrolled student at any college.

Old 05-04-2004, 03:43 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: FYI

Around here, you can go to the high schools that teach vocational courses and get your vehicle worked for for free by the students and instructors. You have to leave it for a few days, no in/out like a dealer. All you pay for are any replacement parts....[&:]

Old 05-04-2004, 04:25 PM
gravymonkey
Veteran

I took my 75 Nova to my high school auto mech class because I had friends in there and I thought they knew what they were doing. I was very wrong. I don't even remember what simple thing I took it in for, but one of the guys jumps under the hood and started rearranging the vacuum lines. I thought I knew what he was doing, but a few months later when I had to replace the carb as well as the cat that was burnt up because of the carb, I then realized he didn't know what he was doing.
The moral of the story is taking your car to a student mech is a gamble and you might get what you paid for, or you could get a lot less.
In my area there use to be a chiropractic college that had a cheap clinic for the public. I’ve heard enough horror stories from there to know to not go to a student chiropractic clinic as well.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:41 PM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, it's about as smart as getting your teeth worked on by student dentists.....OUCH!!!![:@]

Old 05-06-2004, 04:59 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the same way here. OSU has a good cheap medical facility as well as dental.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:21 AM
dustyloins
Hall of Fame Member

It's the "garage of last hope"....[&:]

Old 05-07-2004, 06:47 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts