General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2wd to 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 02:46 AM
Bucko
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd to 4wd

Just shooting in the dark here, but if at all, how possible would it be to change my truck to 4wd. I know the 4x4 1500 ram has the independant front suspension. how difficult? is it just a change of parts and electronic work? im thinking more and more that i want a 4x4. and i don't want to go buy a new truck

Old 05-09-2004, 03:44 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2wd to 4wd

You are lucky-in previuos years the frame and suspension have been totally different 2X vs 4X. For the new DR model truck the frame and suspension are the same, I beleive even the hubs and brakes are the same. You would need, and I may miss some peices: 4X4 transmission, transfer case, F&R prop shatfs, front differential, transfer case switch and wiring harness. That should cover it, of course new these parts are well over 9000.00 so unless you can find them used I wouldn't suggest it.

Old 05-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Bucko
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2wd to 4wd

So in other words, i would be better off getting a whole new truck. that is rather dissapointing. thanks for the info. maybe i'll start looking into used jeeps.