General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Removing a fan on 1999 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 02:38 AM
kaiserdad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing a fan on 1999 Durango

Can anyone help me in removing a fan from my Durango? Which way does the nut turn, left or right. Wat do you hold the water pump pulley with?

Old 02-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: Removing a fan on 1999 Durango

ORIGINAL: kaiserdad

Can anyone help me in removing a fan from my Durango? Which way does the nut turn, left or right. Wat do you hold the water pump pulley with?

Service and Repair

REMOVAL

1.Disconnect battery negative cable.
2.The thermal viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly is attached (threaded) to water pump hub shaft. Remove fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly from water pump by turning mounting nut counterclockwise as viewed from front. Threads on viscous fan drive are RIGHT HAND. A Snap-On 36 MM Fan Wrench (number SP346 from Snap-On Cummins Diesel Tool Set number 2017DSP) can be used. Place a bar or screwdriver between water pump pulley bolts to prevent pulley from rotating.
3.Do not attempt to remove fan/viscous fan drive assembly from vehicle at this time.
4.Do not unbolt fan blade assembly from viscous fan drive at this time.
5.Remove fan shroud attaching hardware (two bolts at bottom-two clips at top).
6.Remove fan shroud and fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly as a complete unit from vehicle.
7.After removing fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly, do not place viscous fan drive in horizontal position. If stored horizontally, silicone fluid in the viscous fan drive could drain into its bearing assembly and contaminate lubricant. CAUTION: Do not remove water pump pulley-to-water pump bolts. This pulley is under spring tension.
8.Remove four bolts securing fan blade assembly to viscous fan drive.

INSTALLATION

1.Install fan blade assembly to viscous fan drive. Tighten bolts to 23 Nm (17 ft. lbs.) torque.
2.Position fan shroud and fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly to vehicle as a complete unit.
3.Install fan shroud.
4.Install fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly to water pump shaft and tighten bolts to 27 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
5.Connect battery negative cable. Viscous Fan Drive Fluid Pump Out Requirement: After installing a new viscous fan drive, bring the engine speed up to approximately 2000 rpm and hold for approximately two minutes. This will ensure proper fluid distribution within the drive.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/40AAB8A683544DE1820D36F9E11597E8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2007, 08:38 AM
racerseks
Default RE: Removing a fan on 1999 Durango

I've had a hell of as time with this myself. Changing my water pump..... done pretty much everything else, including loosening the water pump mounting bolts, and the belt is off. Would having done these other steps complicate this at all? Do I need to put the belt back on first? The large bolt holding the fan on just turns freely. I think the water pump has been replaced before.....has a press-on type pulley.....The large bolt just turns and turns, and I can even turn the water pump pulley in the opposite direction, yet it never comes off. Can anyone help?

Quick Reply: Removing a fan on 1999 Durango