General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trouble after winter storage... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 06:08 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trouble after winter storage... I need help

Love the avatar.[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 05-17-2004, 06:06 PM
WPGINDY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks 71RoadRunner. [sm=smiley20.gif] I had to get up really early to get that shot.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
WPGINDY

ORIGINAL: JCswm

Check the voltage at the DG/OR wire at any injector while cranking the engine...
OK, I had .16 volts (on the 12 volt scale) from the wire going to the injector. I'm not sure if that is the proper voltage for the injectors, it seems kind of low to me. I also checked all my relays again. (They all are working). I also checked the voltage from the positive wire that goes to the ignition coil while cranking. This reading was around .16 volts also. Again seems low, but I'm not sure. I checked my wiring harness, there are no signs of damage from rodents anywhere. So far it looks like I'm going to be out $600 for a new computer. Do you think I should play it safe and let the dealer take a look at it, or is there any other test I can do to be sure the PCM needs to be replaced?

I was considering letting the dealer trouble shoot the problem, but I'd hate to tow the truck to the dealer, just to have them do the same tests that I've just done and come to the same conclusion.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2004, 08:47 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chesk your fuses in the power distribution center with an ohmeter for continuenty. I had one go bad and that was the only way we found it. The fuse wasn't blown where it is supposed to, but evidently lost contact where it wasn't visible.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:00 PM
JCswm
Veteran

That DG/OR wire is ASD relay output and should be 12V .... You have no power .... And the ASD relay is controlled by your PCM!!
There is a light grey 10 wire connector by the LF wheel well.... That DG/OR wire is in pin #1 Check for power there next And double check Fuse #9 10A and fuse #4 30A
The next step will be to check your powers and grounds to the PCM.....

Old 05-17-2004, 09:56 PM
JCswm
Veteran

How many miles are on your truck???

Old 05-19-2004, 12:27 PM
WPGINDY

Ok JCswm, I checked the DG/OR wire from the connector, and I have no power there either. Fuse #9 is good, but I have no fuse #4, it's listed on the back of the fuse panel cover as N/A. The truck has 80 947 miles on it.
Sorry for the delayed response from your last post, but I was unable to spend time on the truck the other night.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:44 PM
WPGINDY

ORIGINAL: charlie1935

Chesk your fuses in the power distribution center with an ohmeter for continuenty. I had one go bad and that was the only way we found it. The fuse wasn't blown where it is supposed to, but evidently lost contact where it wasn't visible.

Yeah... that was one of the first things I did. Believe me I wish it was that simple. It was a long winter here, and I really miss driving my truck. I think I'm starting to go through seperation anxiety. [sm=smiley5.gif]
Thanks though.

Old 05-21-2004, 10:41 PM
JCswm
Veteran

Your going to need to see a data stream to make sure your getting cam and crank signals
if you don't have access to a good scanner you'd be better off calling the dealer.
Do you still have the Origional PCM???

Old 06-04-2004, 07:55 PM
WPGINDY

I hooked up a code scanner to the socket under the dash, but it got no signal from the truck. I don't have the stock ECM, so I'll let the Chrysler Service Dept. take it from here. Thank you JCswm for all your help, and thank you to everyone else who tried to help.

Quick Reply: Trouble after winter storage... I need help