General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RFI module

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 07:40 PM
Jack142
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RFI module

what is a RFI (radio frequency interference) module ??
What does it do and how does it operate ?
I just bought a 96 intrepid, and the radiator fans run continiously.
The previous owner told me it was the RFI Module. But I dont know I think it might be the coolant temp sensor
Need some help ?
Thanks
Jack

Old 03-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: RFI module

ORIGINAL: Jack142

what is a RFI (radio frequency interference) module ??
What does it do and how does it operate ?
I just bought a 96 intrepid, and the radiator fans run continiously.
The previous owner told me it was the RFI Module. But I dont know I think it might be the coolant temp sensor
Need some help ?
Thanks
Jack
It's the module on the fan shroud that both fans connect to. It's there to filter out electrical noise for the computer and the radio. That's not your problem unless someone has hosed it up. I would start with replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor that controls the fans.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/410175C6A2F0478BA7E6E548BACAD2E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Jack142

ok I did some work on the car this weekend. The problem is the pressure transducer on the air conditioner compressor discharge line. It is suppose to send a signal to the computer when the AC is on and turn on both fans. Well the fans stay on all the time. it dont work. I pulled the plug on it and the fans shut off. I ran the car a bit and put a temp gun on it. With the ac plug disconnected the fans turned on at about 190 and the car got up to 212. no hotter The fans took awhile to turn back off turned off at around 189. So I know I got the culprit.

My question ? This transducer on the return line has a nut looking piece to it. But I got a funny feeling the transducer and the line are all one unit, pressure fit together ?
Does anybody know ? also, it I try to do this do I have to evac the lines and redo the freon ? To be honest , I might have to take it to AC guy to fix .. Dont feel like fooling with AC and freon and all that ?

Old 04-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Chump
Captain

I believe that the transducer has a check valve behind it that prevents freon leakage when you remove it. you'll want to double check my info.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:47 PM
buckw1
Professional

There is also a TSB describing this exact condition, simply unscrew the old transducer and replace with new dealer part. All old part numbers should be out of inventory by now. It would still be a good idea to do a evac and recharge if you can. It removes any moisture from the system and insures your refrigerant level is correct. Moisture in the system can interact with refrigerant and make acid that will rot the evaporator unit. I do it once a year on all my vehicles.

Quick Reply: RFI module