General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 09:39 PM
mofo flake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel bearings

I went to the local auto parts store today to service my newly acquired 02’ 1500 Ram (4.7L, 2 wheel drive, 4-door, 2 U-joint). They said that the front wheel bearings are not listed as items for sale, but the hub assembly is. Does anyone know if I can just buy the wheel bearings and replace those? Im an not going to replace the wheel hubs at 100K.

Also, is there a search function on this site that I am missing somewhere?

Old 04-13-2006, 05:00 AM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: Front wheel bearings

New style bearing on todays car and truck incorporate a sealed bearing into the hub assembly along with the abs sensor if equipped. No need for service until they start making noise or you have looseness. Replacement is usually fairly easy with just 3 or 4 bolts from the back side but the part runs over $250 per hub!

Buck

Old 04-16-2006, 12:20 PM
chopper
Veteran
Default RE: Front wheel bearings

I had the same thing happen when replacing the wheel bearings in my wife's 92 mini van.I had bought bearings just a few months before and knew the part was available.The counter man did some looking and found the bearings.(Advance Auto)
Try looking for a bearing supply store in your area.They will usually have the bearing in their inventory.You will need the part number and if you can bring the bearings with you it will be a big help.

Quick Reply: Front wheel bearings