General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

od light/transmission /steering column problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:51 PM
bosborne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default od light/transmission /steering column problem

I have a 2003 dodge slt, it has 31,000 miles on it and only 5k left to go before the warrantee runs out. I've had it into the dealership 4x for the same problem since 23,000 miles.

When I am accelerating down the road at any speed...20 or 65 mph, it feels like the transmission slips into neutral for just a breif second or two, at this time the overdrive light also goes off, then comes right back on, and everything runs normal again. No check engine light come on. This happened 3 times in a row yesterday, I turned right at a light, it slipped, the light went out, accelorated and it repeated this same problem 3 more times until I got to the posted speed of 45mph.

The first two times the engine light came on. The first time it coded P1899, Neutral Park Switch/internal short, so they replaced this, same thing was happening as described above, plus the cruise button wouldn't work. It happened a half a dozen times within the next couple of months, the dealership couldn't dup the problem so had to wait for the light to come on , 4k later it it finally came on, at this same time I had hit my knee on keys in my ignition and the whole truck shut off, I brought it in again, the dealership wiggled the key and the check engine light went off. They found the ignition switch rod in the column had excessive play and replaced the steering column. Once again it has been fine for another 3,000 miles, however now occassionally the circle that goes around the Reverse or Drive (forgive me I don't know what the heck this is called) doesn't always show up when I turn it on, so I can shut the truck off, restart it and it lights up fine.

Also, once again while driving it slips and the light goes out then too. The dealership cannot dup the problem, there is nothing in the computer showing a problem. I am worried about my warrantee expiring and it not getting fixed, we're working on getting an extension for this problem, but ultimately I really like the vehicle and don't want to spend any more time at the dealership.

I am wondering if anyone else has experience this- I'm not getting anywhere with fixing this one issue. Thanks

Old 06-14-2006, 11:38 PM
timwag2001
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: od light/transmission /steering column problem

have you checked the shift linkage? Maybe it's kinda slipping because it's not properly in gear... Does your truck start in any other gear other neutral or park? It's kinda related to the nuetral park switch i suppose. I'm just taking a stab in the dark but it's easy enough that you could check it yourself.

Quick Reply: od light/transmission /steering column problem