General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Hard to shift into gears???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:55 PM
96sohcwhite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to shift into gears???

I am having an issue getting my car into reverse... It grinds the gears with it running... almost like I do not have the clutch engaged... It is hard to get in to 1st as well at the stop light... almost as if the cable is to long... If I start the car in either 1st or reverse on the flat with out the breaks on it moves a little forward or backward depending on what gear it is in...

There seems to me no clutch slippage... what could this problem be?

Also while I am on a roll... When I turn the key to the on position I hear a rumble type noise on the passager side... then it quits... if I start the car the noise keeps going? If this a fuel pump going out or what..

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hard to shift into gears???

the rumble is just the fuel pump priming itself...its completely normal....dont worry
as for the shifting, you might wanna look under the hood,remove the fuse distribution box and check to see if the shifter bushings are bad, and check where the cables mount to the trans and see if they move, if the arent connected to the mount then they will move when you shift and cause problems

Old 06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
shadowzform
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hard to shift into gears???

I had a hard time shifting my old truck when i had it. It grinded trying to putin reverse with it running and shifting was terribly hard. Come to find out the clutch cable just needed adjusting. In that case i tightened it up and the shifts were perfect.

Quick Reply: Hard to shift into gears???