General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Ram Two Left Calipers? WTF?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Bigkrug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram Two Left Calipers? WTF?!?

Forgive me that this is my first post but I have no where else to turn to.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext 5.9L 2WD. It has about 30k miles on it (I only use it to drive to work and back so yeah it's low mileage) and recently brought it in to a place to get the brakes fixed. I guess I let it go a little too long because they said I needed new rotors as turning them would put it below the safe margin. So be it... They also adjusted the rear discs and did a line flush.

I goto pick it up and hit about 30-35 mph and the whole steering wheel starts going crazy. It jogs left then right over and over like a tire is loose. I pull over, check the tires and they are fine. I notice as I step on the brakes I hear a loud grinding noise and a knocking on the right side. I immiedately do a u-turn and take it back to the mechanics. They have it for another day. Tell me they've replaced the rotors and it should be fine. On a side note, the mechanic accidently called my number instead of their part suppliers number to tell them they sold them warped and bum set or rotors. Once I explained to him I was the owner of the dodge he laughed, apologized and told me that's what the problem was. Soooo I go to pick it up today and take it down the street for a test. Same thing...

A little bit ago he calls me to tell me he thinks he figured it out and it looks like I have two left calipers. A left for the left side and a left for the right side. I'm stunned. Shocked. Speechless. I ask him very nicely if he had this double checked and he said he had three of his ASE certified brake guys look at it. I told him I was the original owner, had never had this issue before and had never replaced anything with the front brakes ever. So how would this be possible? I asks me what he wants me to do. I ask him to pull the part number off the supposed wrong caliper so I can check it. They are in the process of doing that while I call the Dodge dealer to find out what the OEM number is.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is this even posisble? While I try to get ahold of the Dodge dealer does anyone know where I can find the OEM number for the right brake caliper for my vehicle? The dealer seems to be closed as I was writing this. Help... Thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:08 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2001 Ram Two Left Calipers? WTF?!?

That seems kind of fishy...especially if you weren't having the problem prior to them working on it. [&:]

Dealer should be able to give you the part #s when you get a hold of them.

I can look up the part #s that they pull off if you post them.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:14 PM
Bigkrug
Default RE: 2001 Ram Two Left Calipers? WTF?!?

Is it possible to install these calipers upside down by chance? I can't imagine with a line flush and new pads and rotors that they disconnected them but I guess they could be bakwards. Left on the right and right on the left. So clueless...

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram Two Left Calipers? WTF?!?