General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Irratic Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 PM
jman01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irratic Idle

I have a 2001 Ram Van 3.9 v6 when idling its idles hi low its all over the place and a few times when the ac is on it dies while idling Any help?

Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Irratic Idle

ill move this to the right area, posts like this belong in the general tech area or the car section the pertain to, so ill move it to general tech

no harm done though and welcome to DF

Old 07-22-2006, 12:51 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be your idle air control (IAC) motor. This is mounted at the rear of the throttle body. It's held on by 2 bolts. The IAC motor is controlled by the computer to allow a certain amount of air thru the throttle body at idle (it moves a pintle in and out), essentially increasing or decreasing idle engine speed.
Remove the IAC motor, and clean it up (use some throttle body cleaner). Than, reinstall it, and spray some TB cleaner into the TB (follow instructions on the can). If that does not work, the IAC motor may actually be bad, and need to be replaced.
Also, a tune-up (spark plugs [stay FAR AWAY from spark plugs with more than one electrode, personally, I use just the good old Champion Copper Plugs, the el-cheepo's, they work fine], plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, inspect air filter, inspect PCV valve) wouldn't hurt to do at this time (if a tune up hasn't been done in a while).
You might also want to run some SeaFoam Motor Treatment. (Usually $6-7 at a local auto parts store). Follow the directions on the bottle and pour some down the vacuum line going from the engine to the brake booster (unconnect from the brake booster side, of course!) to clean the intake valves, and add the rest to your fuel tank to clean the fuel system (fuel injectors). I've heard many-a-people have added this via the brake booster line, and (once you add so much, you stop the motor for about 5-or-so minutes to let it soak in, as the directions state) you can actually see the stuff (carbon deposits) it cleans out.
But try the IAC motor first.
Post back with results.

Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I agree with the IAC motor diagnosis

Old 08-18-2006, 03:26 AM
pcjeep

Me too, just replace the IAC motor, clean the throttle bore out very good with carb clean and a rag, go deep inside.
But also check your TPS value and percentage, if they fluctuate erratically, replace the TPS
Does anyone know of a forum similar to this one but for Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep Dealer techs only?

Quick Reply: Irratic Idle