General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

exhaust pulse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 PM
chief0299
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust pulse?

I posted this in the 2nd gen forum and got no answers. Maybe my luck will change. I've got an 01 1500 2wd with a 360. I purchased and installed the o2 simulator, removed the cat and installed a flowmaster 40 series. The truck sounds great except between 1900 and 2500 rpm's. In that short range, the exhaust sounds like a couple of cylinders are firing louder than the rest. I'm wondering if this is due to sound pulses or sound waves bouncing around in the pipes or the muffler, or if I need to do a compression check and see what each cylinder is pushing. I can get a recording and post it if it would be helpful. A friend of mine (who hates Dodges) told me that this is due to the fact that the Dodge v8 is an odd firing motor, unlinke a chevy or ford. I have a hard time believeing this because out of all the Dodge engines I've heard, none have sounded like mine. Please help me out here because I'm really getting annoyed with it and I'm hoping that this isn't leading up to further maintenance.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Default RE: exhaust pulse?

Ifyou can, do a compression test... if its relatively the same across the board, its probably the exhaust.

Do you notice the sound by the motor or at the tail pipe?

Without being able to actually hear what the truck sounds like, I cant really say for sure.

But I have not heard of firing problems from a 318/360 being really common, so I would say your friend is full of crap

Old 08-02-2006, 10:01 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

A recording would help alot.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: moparkj

Ifyou can, do a compression test... if its relatively the same across the board, its probably the exhaust.

Do you notice the sound by the motor or at the tail pipe?

Without being able to actually hear what the truck sounds like, I cant really say for sure.

But I have not heard of firing problems from a 318/360 being really common, so I would say your friend is full of crap
Your friend is full of crap.

He is making a statment like (if I add flame decals to my truck I will gain 100 Hp and 2 more MPG's.)

Old 08-18-2006, 02:16 AM
pcjeep

sounds like a couple of cylinders are firing louder than the rest?
never heard of that, are you saying you hear a misfire?
check coil-cap-rotor-plugs-wires for spark arcing lines.
Does anyone know of a forum similar to this one but for Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep Dealer techs only?

Quick Reply: exhaust pulse?