General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Charging system

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 AM
silvercoupe97
Uber Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging system

Ok, electrical gurus, I have narrowed down (I believe, I have anyway) my charging system issue, which is....my battery will not charge while at speed, nor will it hold while at idle. I have charged my battery twice now with to no avail and I have bought a new battery. My turbo timer shows voltage from the battery and it just dwindles down to 9volts while driving and ultimately causing an unsatisfactory half throttle/idle motor performance.
Initially I thought it to be the battery having a dead cell..wrong. I am fairly certain that it's the voltage regulator found inside my alternator. I can charge the battery to 12+volts, with a battery charger but it will not charge from the alternator at all. The alternator will keep my car running however, so my thoughts are that the alternator works, just not the voltage regulator, thus the alternator not charging my battery.
Am I on the correct path or do I need to keep looking. Do you guys need more info?
Thoughts?

TIA,
John

Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
buckw1
Professional
Default RE: Charging system

It doesn't make any difference, very few parts stores sell regulators, so buy a reman alternator and be done with it.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:42 AM
pcjeep
Default RE: Charging system

start the car, put your voltmeter on the battery post.. you should see about 13.5 volts
if its 11 volts replace the alternator. If you do have about 13.5 volts, check for a "parasitic current drain"
Does anyone know of a forum similar to this one but for Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep Dealer techs only?

Quick Reply: Charging system